Factory amp?

Isaac
10+ year member

Iowa
I have been attempting to install a new head unit in my 2004 bonneville and have run into a lot of troubles. First the thing won't turn on then I find out the the red ignition wire from the car doesn't work so I wired a switch. I finally got it to turn on, now none of the speakers play. Some shop owners and best buy people told me that I have to have a remote wire to the factory amp or to buy a $150 harness that has everything. I looked and can't find an amp. Does anyone know where it is(if it has one)? Or how I could fix this problem?

if your car has a factory amp, then there should be a remote wire running from the stock HU to that amp. In order to attach your after market HU to that amp, you will need a harness. And it does NOT cost no damm $150. It's usually less than $20 online. It has to be the one designed for your car.

when you take out the stock HU, the wires attached to that HU are grouped together to a plastic plug/harness/whatever. The aftermarket harness will allow you to hook up your new HU without cutting up the wires that lead from the dash to the factory amp.

The universal wiring harness i got does not have a wire for a factory amp.
I have no idea how that's even possible. What kind of cheap asss harness is this? It's usually a blue wire with a white line down it. Check that out.

It was a 20 dollar one like you said. Should I try a different brand? I am pretty sure there is no stock amplifier.

no don't buy anything more.

We need to firgure out if there is in fact a factory installed amplifier in your car first.

Your car uses data. That's why the switch power dosnt work. You can just hardwire the switch power (red) off the ignition.

2nd. You prolly have a factory amp. Most cars actually do. Im sure a 10 minute search on google can find it. You need to hook up the blue/wht wire to the amp turn on.

1. Already fixed that problem.

2. I have searched google and people say that if you don't have the bose/monsoon system you probably don't have a factory amp.

You need the METRA GMOS harnesses. I had to have one in my 03 bonneville... i have one for sale actually... if it fits your year

mine is the Metra GMOS-05

Shouldn't there be some way i could make it work? Also, my car doesn't have On Star. And the sub in my picture is a Sundown Zv.3 12

Shouldn't there be some way i could make it work? Also, my car doesn't have On Star. And the sub in my picture is a Sundown Zv.3 12
The way to make it work is to buy the correct interface. You can use GMOS-09 to retain the amplifier or GMRC-04 for the cheap way but you'll have to bypass the amplifier. Since your car uses a data bus you can't simply hook up your remote wire to the factory amplifier to make it come on. This is the reality of factory audio integration these days.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.