Extremely out of the loop... Need help choosing an amp

safehaven

I am new to this forum (obviously by the post count), so I'd first like to say hi to everyone!

So, it has been a LONG time since I've been interested in amplifiers. The cool sports car with the system that I had back in the day got replace by a loser-cruiser full of a wife and kids. So I am way out of the loop.

I recently purchased a UTV (Yamaha Rhino) that I want to install a stereo system in. It gets extremely dusty and sandy, so I am opting not to put a head unit in and instead run an amp directly off an iPod.

Space on this thing is very tight. I am planning on running 2 6.5" mids, possibly Kicker KM613, and 2 6.5" Kicker Subs. I am looking for and amp to drive these.

Obviously I'm looking for a 4 channel amp. It needs to be fairly compact. It also probably needs to be barely big enough to drive the 4 speakers as the electrical system is lacking in power a little bit. I think it would be nice to have an amp that has built in crossovers. I have been eyeballing the Kicker ZX200.4 and the Alpine MRP-F300.

Kicker and Alpine were two of the biggest names back in the day. There are a lot of brands now that I have never even heard of. I am looking for something similar to the Alpine and the Kicker as far as specs go. Ultimately, I like to find something decent for less money. Getting the amp wet will always be a slim possibility, so if I do fry something, I'd prefer it to be on the less expensive side.

Basically, I am looking for recommendations on an amp that is the best bang for the buck that will drive 2 6.5" mids and 2 6.5" subs. It does not need to be Alpline or Kicker. Just has to be at least decent quality and as inexpensive as possible.

Any help or suggestions, whether they be on an amp or even the speakers for that matter, will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

So, is the Kicker amp the only one I should really consider? I was really hoping to spend less than $200 on the slim chance that I accidentally get it wet. But if that is what I need, then so be it. The 35watts X 4 @ 4 ohms will be enough power to run 2 6.5" speakers and 2 6.5" subs? The Alpine is basically the same physical size and is 50watts X 4 @ 4 ohms. This is not a good choice when compared to the Kicker?

I appreciate the help, and I apologize for my lack of knowledge. I'm trying to do all of the research and re-learning before I make a purchase so I get it right the first time.

While Kicker is nice it's not the end-all of car audio by any means. There are lots upon lots of brands out there that do just as good if not better.

If you don't mind going a little over, woofersetc is having a sale on a hifonics 4channel that does 110rmsx4. I've used Hifonics and they are pretty solid for the price:

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=6720

or on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-08-HIFONICS-ZXI-8408-4CH-880W-CAR-AMPLIFIER-ZXI8408_W0QQitemZ160284916887QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160284916887&_trkparms=72%3A1205|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

As far as subs go, I recommend Elemental Designs as they're extremely accurate and a great bang for the buck (there are a lot of ED haters, however, because a while back they made a faulty line of subs and had RMA issues with the volume they were getting back). I still buy them, though, because it's a solid product very similar to JL but not near as expensive.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?t=2&products_id=33

As far as components I'd recommend CDT although I hear there are much better brands out there for the buck (I'm just going with what I've used). Just look around the forum you might find something you like better.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=3365

I strongly recommend going with Hifonics for the amp and ED for the subs, though. RE (resonant engineering) used to be a decent brand for subs, but I dunno what their status is at the moment.

http://www.reaudio.com

Thanks for the reply wags! I am definitely interested in the Hifonics amps. The one you linked to might be a bit on the powerful side for what I need. The electrical system on my rig is weak, to say the least. So, I'm trying to keep the power consumption to a minimum. Do you think I really need 110w X 4? Plus, I only have 10"X 16" to work in. The amp is 15.75". I don't think I could get the power and the RCA cables hooked up in that space.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=6271

What about this

or this

or even this

They are a little less power, are they still enough to power what I am looking to do?

As far as the subs go. I am not dead set on the Kickers if there is something else comparable. BUT, the thing about the kickers is that they are shallow mount and need less than 3" of mounting depth. Also, the Kickers do not require an enclosure, even though I intend to use as small enclosure. The sub you linked to is well over 3" mounting depth and I think too long for the space that I have available.

Ah, if you can't go for an enclosure, Kicker still is pretty good as far as subs go, so go with those.

Hifonic's lowest line is the Titan (the Txi), so I'd opt for the extra 20$ and get the Zxi as it probably has more features / better build quality (plus it gives you its dimensions).

It also appears as though they both have a 3-channel mode, which (and don't quote me on this as I've never used it and am only assuming here) would probably be the left front / left right (at 4 ohm) and the rear two bridged at 4 ohm. Giving you 2x85 and 1x170 would give you enough if you were running just one sub (as those are 150 rms and Single voice coil 4 ohm). It wouldn't be worth it to run two with that power / budget you're working with anyway.

I used to run 4x100 and it you can crank it and have it sound really good. i'd imagine a 4x85 would sound just fine for what you're looking for (well 2x85 / 1x170 really).

Originally, I wasn't getting many looks and replies here, so I posted to another forum. The funny thing is, 2 people there also suggested the Cadence SQA-4 marine amp. Will they run in 3 channel mode? The specs on there website are not very specific.

Also, are there any other people who have personal experience with Cadence? I really like to hear from people who have. Cadence is not a brand that I have ever heard of. I like the fact that it is inexpensive. But, inexpensive usually means something will perform mediocre and break soon after. I'd really like to stay under $200 for an amp. Under $100 would be absolutely fantastic as long it will perform well.

I was all set to go and buy the Alpine MRP-F300 this morning. A local store is selling it for $180. But now I am second guessing that choice.

Please chime in if you have an opinion.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.