Explorer SQ Worklog - custom fiberglass, JL, Dynaudio...

temposs
10+ year member

Maryland
Just getting around to posting this up over here. Installing a pure SQ system in my Explorer (pics attached). This is about the 5th system I've done in this truck - but this will be the first time I'm doing it "right". The plan is to pull up the carpet, deaden everything, run wiring neatly and organized, and just keep things clean.

The equipment I used in this install:

Eclipse CD8052 CD Player - 8v deadhead

Elemental Designs Nine.5 - (running at 200x2 @ 4ohm + 300x1 @ 2ohm)

JL Audio 12w6v2

Dynaudio System 242 Component Speakers

125^2ft of RAAMmat

KnuKonceptz 1/0 Power/Ground - Techflex'd

KnuKonceptz Battery Terminals

Stinger Fuse

DIY Interconnects - Techflex'd

Home Theater Speaker Cable (14x4) - Techflex'd

just make sure you post tons of pics. looking forward to it man //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

The goals of this build are rather simple:

- clean, neatly organized wiring

- simple yet elegant system aesthetics

- modular design - amps and wiring easy to work on/replace

- amazing sound quality //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Before tearing the truck apart, I designed the rear amp tray, the enclosure, and the beauty panels. Again, the idea here was just a clean, simple look. I choose to fiberglass the enclosure that will house the 12w6v2. The enclosure is sealed, about 1cft in space. Wrapped with black whisper vinyl from Joann's fabrics.

The amp tray rests on a sheet of MDF with blocks in place to prevent the tray from moving. It is very secure when installed. The amp tray itself is made of birch ply to keep the weight down when removing the amp. The base which the amp rests on is fully removeable from the rest of the tray, allowing for neatly organized wiring beneath the amp. Again, all wrapped in black vinyl.

The beauty panels are made of birch to keep weight down again. The top amp beauty panel was rounded around the edges for a finished look, and beveled 45º around the amp. Eventually I plan on making an insert to rest within this bezel to protect the amp (if I am ever putting stuff back there).

Initially I was deadset to mount the Dyn 162's in the doors (and the tweeters in the a-pillar), using a baffle to extend outwards to the door panel, and then mounting a door pod off of that to achieve better imaging. I wasted about 5 hours one day trying several methods of fabbing up a decent baffle to do this. The problem was that Ford placed nearly 40% of the stock speaker behind the solid door panel area - not behind the speaker grill! The baffle would have needed to fit to the stock location, and come off at a steep angle to make it into the stock grill area. I failed to find a way that I felt would be suitable for this installation.

So I scrapped that idea and decided to make kick panels for both the mids and tweeters to be housed in. Again - simple, clean looking. These took roughly a day to mount/angle the rings, wrap, and glass and then about 3 hours to fill, sand, and wrap with vinyl. I'm very happy with the result.

Nice work!

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the JL W6v2 a DVC 4ohm sub? and doesn't the Nine.5 do 600x1@1ohm?

Now for the interior to be gutted.

I know this truck well - it took me literally about an hour or so to remove all the seats, console, door panels, and carpet. Three layers of RAAMmat went down on the floor. I'm very impressed with this stuff - especially for the price. I really don't think it can be beat for a similar price. The difference it made was enormous - the truck is so quiet now - it really felt unfamiliar as road-noise was very bad on this thing before.

All the wiring was ran after the RAAMmat was down. I used adhesive clips with zipties running through them to guide the wires through the floorpan. Yellow zipties indicate the 1/0 power run. Again, all wires were techflex'd in black and heatshrunk. I marked everything using white electric tape and a sharpie.

I swore to myself after my last install which included a CarPC that I'd never be a member of the disorganized-wiring-club again. It was a nightmare to work on before and made the hobby not much fun and more of a chore when things weren't working as intended. That is why I went the extra mile on the wiring.

Nice work!
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the JL W6v2 a DVC 4ohm sub? and doesn't the Nine.5 do 600x1@1ohm?
Oops, I mistyped. You're correct. Thinking about an old install. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Looking great so far, very very clean. I'm going to be doing the same thing for my Jeep WJ in the next coming weeks. Good to see some people on here that are into clean, sq installs. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

nice work i love the paint job i wanted to do that to my old explorer before some woman drove into it and i got a question wouldnt the emergancy brake get in the way of the driverside kick panel also out of curiousity how much would you charge me to make some kick panels for my truck

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.