equipment capatability advice

The aq1200d has people running that at .5 ohms. Just wondering if running it at 2 ohms is bad? Obviously 4 ohm is better, but is running it t 2 ohm still efficeint enough not to lead to problems?

yes, if it is rated for 2 ohm loads. Running an extra 50/100 watts isnt going to kill anything unless it distorted like no tomorrow. im pushing 2900 between 2 subs rated for 1k rms right now and not a single issue

The aq1200d has people running that at .5 ohms. Just wondering if running it at 2 ohms is bad? Obviously 4 ohm is better, but is running it t 2 ohm still efficeint enough not to lead to problems?
The AQ is a very capable amp, I do not mean to frighten you with words like "destabilizing" ..it is not gonna explode at 1ohm, wrong use of the term. As an amps' impedance falls below it's highest rated, say from 4ohms to 2 ohms, a good rule of thumb is: THD, or Harmonic Distortion is increased 1.5 to 2 x it's 4ohm rating The Dampening Factor can drop a significant amount, the Efficiency can drop 10% and the amp produces more heat.these numbers again worsen at 1ohm, and more heat, and more current draw... This is what I mean by the amp becoming unstable at a lower impedance. A amp rated for a minimum 1 ohm impedance is built to handle that ohm load. These numbers vary at each ohm load as well as the musical signal passes through the amp, another story though.

It is not bad to run at the amp's minimum ohm load, it is just not as clean and efficient.When power efficiency drops to the 60-70% and the distortion levels are above audible levels, it is bad on the ear and the music sounds boomy or muddy, or flabby etc....but if you have always ran a budget amp at 1ohm, using cheap made subs in a pre-fab box, you probably just think that is how bass is supposed to sound. A good sub fed clean, well controlled power will sound as loud and more defined than being fed almost twice as much distorted and less controlled power.

this run around convo is getting old. if you are that scared, look at a different amp that matches the same exact specs of the subs. but if you think that's what we all do, you are sadly mistaken

Look, I know most of the members on here know there stuff. I am just starting out getting into car audio so u gotta bare with me on stuff lol.

All I want to know is can i run those dual sundown eseries subs wired at 2 ohm with the aq series amp and if it will run efficiently and safely that way.

Im not one that blasts it with full volume nor do i need huge wattage, thats why I'm choosing this setup

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.