Engine whine coming through speakers

Participant count
  • Participant list

Bluebullet1004

So my setup is a Pioneer avh-x4500bt head unit wired by RCAs run down the middle of my car to a brand new Polk Audio PA660.4 amp powering my front speakers and my sub. There is a constant, not very loud and really only noticeable when music's not playing, static the comes through the front speakers. And also a very loud and highly noticeable engine whine. When I unplug the RCAs from the amp the static remains but the engine noise goes away. So, any ideas on how to fix this? Also, the last amp I had hooked up to the same wires didn't cause engine noise or whine to come through but even with that amp the static sound did still come through.

There are a ton of things this could be, I have done a whole lot and still have this issue.

Make sure your grounded to the frame, not body of vehicle

Make sure your Rca's are away from power and speaker wire

Make sure your Rca's are good

You may have to "ground" your Rca's, this happens with a lot of pioneer head units, a pico fuse blows

Make sure your amp is bolted down to wood, or plastic/rubber... NO CONTACT OF AMP CASE TO BODY/ANY METAL IN VEHICLE!

Clean your grounds/ground area and sand well.

There is a bunch else to haha

I've checked the ground cable out and redid it to make it even stronger and more secure and I've checked out the speaker wires and there's no exposed wire on those or anything like that. Could it be the front channels on the amp? Because I don't really notice any abnormal sounds coming from the sub that's wired bridged on the back channels.

Prolly the head unit. I had an ahvx3500bhs and had the same problem running it through a Fosgate r150. I switched to an avhx3600 bhs and could not get any measurable volume through the amp. I (just yesterday) took out the Fosgate and replaced it with a Pioneer 6502 and no humming or volume problems.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.