encloure location in trunk

Participant count
  • Participant list

budahbuddy803
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Aiken, SC
I know, I know, there are millions of threads like this. When I searched I couldnt find the exact one I was looking for. BUT here it goes...

I have my IDmax running on like ~150rms in the smallest recommended sealed box like 1.3cuft or something similar. I had it facing the cabin and kept the rear seats folded down most of the time. It sounds fine and there are no rattles. I noticed yesterday that when my bud opened the trunk to get his bookbag out, the sub was noticeably louder. I turned the box towards the trunk and I would say i got about the same output as if the trunk were open and the box was facing the front, BUT a lot more rattles even with like 30sqft of deadener in there. The past few boxes i have used were basically sealed from the trunk facing into the cabin and it sounded great with great output and no rattles. My question is.... If i were to make a baffle that sealed my sealed box off from the trunk facing the cabin, theoretically, should the output be >= the output with the box not sealed off and facing the trunk? I think i would prefer to do this, but I dont want to waste my time if it will have similar output to the box not sealed off and facing the cabin.

only one way to find out....try it and let us know

I've never had a trunk car but heard facing towards the cabin completely sealed off from the trunk is the way to go

I guess, but honestly, i think through the study of sound waves, one would be able to state if the waves reflecting from the trunk and into the cabin would be >= the waves sealed from the trunk and projecting into the cabin strictly. Through my reading and personal experience the boxes that were sealed from the trunk and facing the cabin created less rattles of course because no waves are projected into the trunk, and they were loud. I just cant really compare my current setup with 150rms in a small sealed box to the 500rms and large ported enclosures that I had previously.

Sealing it off from the trunk will change the transfer function of your car and make it peak higher simply because the sub is playing into a smaller cabin. I've never done a daily setup where the trunk is sealed, but it works great for spl setups.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.