Enclosure trouble...

Participant count
  • Participant list

kickerlivinloud
10+ year member

Banning survivor
Ok to cut the cost of my system I am building my enclosure completely my self. I have it custom designed to my trunk so it is really hard to explain what it looks like. B/4 any type of dissplacement I have come up with about 6 cubs of space. I am hopeing that with the diss. of the wood, driver, and port it will be closer to 5 cubs. My main problem now is trying to figure out how much port area I need. Using the caculators over at loudspeakers101 I have gotten this info...

http://www.loudspeakers101.com/VentCal1.htm

Minimum Diameter = 15.05 inches

Minimum Area = 177.98 inches

Length of a side for a square vent = 13.34 inches

This is all for an 15" sub with 38mm Xmax tuned at 45Hz. What I want to do is either make a plug or and extention to lower the freq. to 28Hz for daily driving. Should I use a 13"X13" inch port or should I make it smaller. I am totaly new to the actual install part of car audio so bear with me. If so, how can I make a plug/extentsion to reach the 28Hz????

I am open to ideas...

Your input is appreceated...

Jon

Ok still another question... When building the port will I need to make a "turn" (don't know what to call it) so that the port is going alone the back side of the box??? Is that necessary or should I just make the port 15" long and just leave it??? Sorry for the noob questions but I am still getting used to the actualy enclosure design part of car audio... Thanks

Jon

Ok I think I understand... So just use the dimentions you gave me earlyer. Hey can't thank you enough, been really bugging me trying to figure this out...

Thanks a ton!!!!!!!

Jon

Shoot, Jmac, I just realized that I can't have the port be 16 inches high. My stock speakers which I want to keep are in the way of the box so I have had to make a lot of little fixes to make my box fit. Let me try and explain, The top of the box is 16" deep but the first 6" (from the front side 6" back) is going to be 18" high then after the 6" I am droping it down to 15" Hope you understand what I am saying.

Would the freq stay the same as long as the port area stays the same so like I could make it...8x10x15 or would that change the freq???

Sorry I forgot about this...

Thanks...

Jon

Doesn't something seem a little fishy, there ? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
NO. What you are noticing is a "correction factor" since you chose Yes for a slot port.

Read the JL Audio Tutorial page **HERE** for more information on that (read about Lv(eff) ). Bottom line, the loudspeakers 101 calculator IS correct.

NO. What you are noticing is a "correction factor" since you chose Yes for a slot port.
Read the JL Audio Tutorial page **HERE** for more information on that (read about Lv(eff) ). Bottom line, the loudspeakers 101 calculator IS correct.
wrong. the loudspeaker101 calc dosent take the correction factor in account. not everyone uses the edge of the box for a slot port.

if you still think they are right, try just changing the height and widths around. leave the same numbers.

JB

if you still think they are right, try just changing the height and widths around. leave the same numbers.

JB
If you have a slot port and change the height you SHOULD get different port lengths because of the end correction factor.

Try using the 101 calc. and click NO for the "Slot Port" and change the dimensions. Notice the port length doesn't change. That is the way it should be.

Take it or leave it....just trying to support a well tested, easy to use, time saving applet. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Later,

-Mark

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.