Enclosure suggestions for 2 12s...

Participant count
  • Participant list

Full Tilt
10+ year member

Bonafide MAFer
Iowa
Hey everybody. I've stated in a few other threads that I'll be upgrading to 2 12s this summer, either something like the SAs or XFLs. Anyway, I've been talking to a few different designers, and I've had a lot of different kinds of input. Some are telling me to go aeroport while some are telling me to go slot ported. Then I've got some telling me to port from the drivers side, some saying to port back and fire subs back. I trust all of these guys, but I really want to pick the design that'll slam hardest in my trunk.

So, my question is, should I go slot port or aero port? Other than bracing, what are the main differences between the two?

Also, should I fire my port to the side or to the back, just like my subs? I know it can be install dependent, but it's going into the trunk of a Grand Prix. Which would probably be more beneficial to me?

Thanks for the input!

50 views, not 1 reply. Welcome to CA.com. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suicide.gif.a649d21efc0d1fd4890a6428166586c1.gif

there's your problem. You are talking to too many designers. Too many opinions. You need to pick one, that you trust. Or, start learning about enclosures and test for yourself.

there's your problem. You are talking to too many designers. Too many opinions. You need to pick one, that you trust. Or, start learning about enclosures and test for yourself.
Just looking around to get the best potential out of my system, man. It's just like exploring brands - the more you look into it, the better your odds are of getting as loud as you can.

Buy you several sheets of cheap azz 5/8" particle board and build enclosures till you get what you are after....then when you get the one you want and love ....go ahead and transfer the build to MDF or Birch.......There is NO substitution for BUILD TEST...BUILD TEST...BUILD TEST.......

[quote name='Full Tilt']Okay, here we go:

@pro\-rabbit

@ssteele18

@double 07

Hate to bug you guys, I'm just looking for some decent input.[/QUOTE]

Hey bro.. Sorry, I didn't get the notification right away.
Technically, Aeroports are the most efficient, blah blah blah. Honestly, you probably won't hear the difference between the 2. Now as far as orientation, like double 07 said, it's best to check what sounds best by trial and error. If you build an enclosure with port and subs same side, you knock out 2 birds with 1 stone, as you can try: subs/port firing back, and subs/port firing forward. You can then try a different enclosure for firing to the side. If you have the tools, it isn't that hard to try it out bro. And honestly, you'll feel much more accomplished. :)

Is this a daily set up or going for numbers? I've built plenty of loud slot port trunk set ups. Port in the middle for 2 subs if you have a lot of power as that will help with loading issues caused by an "L" port.

I prefer forward firing, but if you play a lot of low stuff you might prefer rear firing, assuming the box doesn't block off the opening into the cabin.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.