Enclosure Size

Drivin' Dave

CarAudio.com Newbie
I need some advise.

I've never had a subwoofer, in my car, utilizing an enclosure. I've only ever had a subwoofer as determined by my car manufacturer's 9 speaker Alpine system. I think it was a 6" or 8" free air sub. Now I have a newer car, with a very basic factory system, that needs bass. I wonder how many times that's been said.o_O
Anyway, I've narrowed my choice down to two sealed enclosure sizes. Both enclosures are from the same manufacturer, contain identical 10" powered subwoofers, and are exactly the same price. However one enclosure, being larger, has 14% more airspace than the other.
Would you think there would be a significant difference in sound output, and how would you describe that difference? I don't want to blow out windows. I just need it clean.

Thank you.......Dave

I need some advise.

I've never had a subwoofer, in my car, utilizing an enclosure. I've only ever had a subwoofer as determined by my car manufacturer's 9 speaker Alpine system. I think it was a 6" or 8" free air sub. Now I have a newer car, with a very basic factory system, that needs bass. I wonder how many times that's been said.o_O
Anyway, I've narrowed my choice down to two sealed enclosure sizes. Both enclosures are from the same manufacturer, contain identical 10" powered subwoofers, and are exactly the same price. However one enclosure, being larger, has 14% more airspace than the other.
Would you think there would be a significant difference in sound output, and how would you describe that difference? I don't want to blow out windows. I just need it clean.

Thank you.......Dave

what sub are you looking at and what amplifier are you planning on using?

They're both 10" powered subwoofer enclosures. Sub/Amp/Enclosure, all-in-one. Everything is identical except that one enclosure is larger, and therefore has 14% more volume of air.
Will there be a significant sound difference between the two? And describe what you think that difference might be.
I can't think how else to put it.

I would expect the smaller enclosure to have a bit tighter bass, but it might not even be noticeable.
That's kind of what I was thinking. Am I right to think that the reason for that would be less movement of the cone in a small air space, compared to the cone in a larger air space, with the same output being applied to the sub? If it is,
the difference would be so subtle I likely wouldn't notice it.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Am I right to think that the reason for that would be less movement of the cone in a small air space, compared to the cone in a larger air space, with the same output being applied to the sub? If it is,
the difference would be so subtle I likely wouldn't notice it.
The less air space, the more dampening effect will be on the cone... more pressure on it, it will need more power to overcome the pressure. If too small, it gets distorted. But i cant imagine any of that is relevant for your decision. I would expect RF to make the proper size enclosure for their sub.

The less air space, the more dampening effect will be on the cone... more pressure on it, it will need more power to overcome the pressure. If too small, it gets distorted. But i cant imagine any of that is relevant for your decision. I would expect RF to make the proper size enclosure for their sub.
Ok, thank you very much. I think your right when you say RF has it figured out. I'm good to go!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.