Enclosure size too big for today's speaker requirements

Poorha
10+ year member

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

I have an ported 2.3 cubic foot enclosure, I ran an older 12" JL 12W4-4, and this was the recommended size for a ported box design for this speaker. I recently shredded the speaker's surrounding rubber and I'm the market for a new speaker, but non of the speakers that I research require such a big box. Can i run these speakers for example the Alpine type R, which only requires up to 2 cubic feet of air space. If not how could reduce the volume of my box without actually building a new box, Way back in the day, I was told to add foam material to inside of a box, but I not sure if this effectively adds or reduces the box volume. Thanks for reading and I will take any advice that you have to offer.

You should be just fine with most 12s (the Type R will before well in it)... The box sizes havent changed much...

As for making it smaller, add some bracing to the inside. Fill doesnt change the volume much, but is used to make the sub think the box is bigger than it is.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gifI have an ported 2.3 cubic foot enclosure, I ran an older 12" JL 12W4-4, and this was the recommended size for a ported box design for this speaker. I recently shredded the speaker's surrounding rubber and I'm the market for a new speaker, but non of the speakers that I research require such a big box. Can i run these speakers for example the Alpine type R, which only requires up to 2 cubic feet of air space. If not how could reduce the volume of my box without actually building a new box, Way back in the day, I was told to add foam material to inside of a box, but I not sure if this effectively adds or reduces the box volume. Thanks for reading and I will take any advice that you have to offer.
do you have an idea of what sub you are going to replace it with?

I used to run the old solobarics and started seeing these smaller box size for the newer woofers. What I found out by looking at the custom designs not the manufacture sizes is the boxes are usually way bigger. To be honest, the box sizes have changed that much. Find a woofer that like the tuning your box has and you should be good.

I'm also currently running a 4" port at 13.5" long.
With out knowing the actual size ( h x w x d ) and what wood was used (1/2" or 3/4" or what ever), we can not determine what the actual air space or tuning is. I would be glad to help, but can not do so with out that info...

It's 3/4" plywood, and I now have the box down to 1.9 cubic foot from 2.3 cubic feet, I ended up making a couple of smaller boxes and I glued them into the existing enclosure to take up some air space, and my port size is 4" in diameter and 13.5" long.

I hate to say it, but that does not even come close to answering what I asked for lol.

Now you would need to give us the height, width, and depth.

Then the sizes of the enclosures you build to put in side the enclosure.

Like I said, I would be glad to help, but you would need to give me/us the info we asked for us to help. Other wise not much we can do or offer.

Its 3/4" MDF, the dimensions provided are all outside dimensions.

Main box 14.75 H x 19.75 W x 19.75 D

Inner Box#1 = 6.75 H x 5 W x 17 D

Inner Box#2 = 5 H x 5 W x 10 D

I'm trying to achieve a good tight heavy metal double bass sound, and currently I feel that transient time is a little lagging, the single bass drum sound is chest pounding, but the double bass sound is lacking some oomf. I also listen to hip/hop and I would like to keep some boom. Thanks for your efforts.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.