Enclosure bigger than spec?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Gunny A

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello everyone, first post here, but I have been reading a lot of info from the forum. You guys are awesome! So on to my question that I couldn't find an answer to:

I just ordered 2 JL 12W3V3-4 subs and a JD1000/1 amp. They seemed to pair together well with 500 watts RMS at 2 ohms. I am building a sealed box for them (first timer) with 3/4" MDF. Volume is 1.125 each so total of 2.25. The enclosure would fit better and look better if it was built a little bigger than spec. I have been told that 20% over spec (2.70 ft^3) is still safe, but wanted to verify that with you experts.

Any insight you could provide is greatly appreciated.

Should be fine. You can be off with a sealed box by that much and still be ok. You could also add some bracing on the inside to take up some space. 45 degree bracing in all 4 corners can basically be calculated to take up however much space you want, if you want to go that route.

Depends on power and music played. Often times boxes can vary from recommended size quite a bit. I know I’ve done significantly over recommended box size for some of JL’s woofers in ported. The good thing about too big with sealed is that you can always shrink it internally.

I would almost always try to do the biggest box size available for sealed to get as much low end extension as possible.
This dude knows what he is talking about dude. But also know that a particular sub will lose some power handling in larger than spec enclosure, but it also becomes somewhat more efficient thereby needing less power.

I never thought about the corner bracing, that makes perfect sense. I think I might add some just to be safe.

As far as music goes, I listen to everything. Rock, pop, alternative, country, EDM, contemporary christian, literally everything. As far as power goes, the amp will do 1000W RMS x1, but I don't have to crank it up. Do you think a box that's 2.7 ft^3 (20% larger) is significantly bigger?

I never thought about the corner bracing, that makes perfect sense. I think I might add some just to be safe.

As far as music goes, I listen to everything. Rock, pop, alternative, country, EDM, contemporary christian, literally everything. As far as power goes, the amp will do 1000W RMS x1, but I don't have to crank it up. Do you think a box that's 2.7 ft^3 (20% larger) is significantly bigger?

That’s quite a bit larger. I’d test it out first and slowly play with the volume. You can always shrink it down, just don’t damage the subs.

That’s quite a bit larger. I’d test it out first and slowly play with the volume. You can always shrink it down, just don’t damage the subs.

I sincerely appreciate the advice. I've made some changes to the design of my box and it's coming out to +8.99% larger than spec. I'll still be cautious with the levels, but will feel much safer this way.

Thanks again!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...