en close sure

so n so chicago
10+ year member

Illinois
building a box may not work out for me

anyone know a website that sells good vented/ ported boxes or possibly custom makes them?

i was looking at this one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3032720110&category=14945&rd=1

it's a little small but it looks cool to me, only for some reason they won't tell me what frequncy the box is tuned at

that aside, all the sites i've seen that sell boxes look like crappy prefab boxes

i know people make boxes in accordance with particular subs, but for now let's assume that's not an issue, i just want to know that i can get a vented box, then i'll get the subs before i actually buy a box

thanks

OUTLAW PREFAB PORTED BOXES! If the box was made tailored to your subs, then buy it if you can find out the freq. If not, do not, do not buy it. Every sub has different displacements etc, and will change the tuning of the box.

i could custom make ya one if you need it. Some ported prefab are alright if there made specifically for ur sub, but if not then there not all that great.. my work would be for ur sub and all that.. just let me know.

i just realized that instead of the ebay auction doing it, i could have home depot cut the wood (i assume), but i'm not sure that they'd cut out the circles for me.

mgaidica, i may contact you if need be to make a box. in the meantime, depending on the subs i get i want one similar to the ebay link i gave, maybe a little more depth. about how much would you charge for a similar box and then shipping to Chicago (60649)

Originally posted by burtonsnow83 home depot doesn't do precision cuts, the only rip, or cut long, I know I just went there today
they will make all of your cuts for you except the circle...first 2 are free...the next 8 are .25 a piece...and after that they are 1.00 a cut....i usually throw the guy 5-10bucks(it is time consuming...and he doesn't write me up for the additional cuts..so-so...pm me on caf if you want some help

mgaidica

What’s up? I may just ask you to make me a box depending on pricing and a few other factors.

I am looking for a box for a pair of jl 12w6v2s:

http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pdfs/10_12W6v2_MAN.pdf

I want one box for both with a divider (separate chambers) and vents similar to this box:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3032991400&category=18803&rd=1

and additional bracing if necessary.

I am more than likely going to put a Hifonics 1500w amp on it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3033549428&category=18797&rd=1

so I am not sure if the jl recommendations will be best or what in regards to volume and what frequency the vents are tuned to….

As far as external measurements, I can surely fit a box in my trunk that is:

h= 14 inches

w= 34 inches

d=17 inches

those are approximate numbers from my measurements of my trunk (Mercedes c220) for what I am willing to give up for a box. Let me know if that is not enough room to get the right volume and I may have to do more accurate measurements or make a prototype to ensure what can fit inside my trunk. I am sure about the width though.

One thing does confuse though. I may be off because I am underestimating how much room the driver takes up, but for example the 12w6v2’s recommended vented enclosure is only 1.5 cf but when I look at the jl enclosures they make on the site, the boxes appear a lot bigger for one sub. I am guessing has to do with internal venting, but I’m not sure.

I hear that ¾ mdf is the standard but that ¾ hdf is even better.

Let me know your opinion and what measurements you would use (external) and rough estimates on both (mdf and hdf if hdf is in fact better) including shipping to Chicago (60649)

thanks

well.. Your max dimensions are about 3.2 cubes, then port displacement for that style box would be .7+ cu ft.. and thats if its a smaller port. Now You could however have a single port splitting the subs, which has proved very well looking/performing. Dual chambers really isnt a big deal when dealing with ported box's, but all depends on how you want it. Ritht now it looks like you dont have enough room.. If we do the single port down the middle I think we could squeeze 1.5 cubes for each sub, but barely. MDF board is known as the best board to use, Ive heard of HDF but its very heavy and hard to work with, also I dont think it is all the better.

My suggestion..

Find out how to get another .5-1.0 cu ft out of ur trunk, we'll make a single port down the middle (or something else we can work out), tuned about 33-35 hz. I could do a dual 12" ported box for about $45, plus shipping would be anywhere from $30-$40. You could figure $90-$100 TOPS depending on design we use, and shipping. Let me know if we can work something out.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.