Elemental Design 12A.22. Is a Phoenix Gold Tantrum 1200.2 too powerful for it?

MJ23FE
10+ year member

I am considering buying the Tantrum 1200.1 from Sound Domain since i got them to price match. Regardless, i am going to be buying an Elemental Design 12A.22 subwoofer which will be dropped into a 1.2cu.ft. SubZone sealed enclosure. I also might get a ported enclosure built for it later down the road, but for now it will be in the sealed enclosure.

My question is now this, will the 1400wRMS+@4/2ohm that the Tantrum puts out be to powerful for the 12A? I want the sub to really hit hard, but also keep the SQ that it is capable of producing, but i do not want to jeopordize the sub and pump to much power into it. What do you guys think? I also posted this in the Amplifier forum just to see what kind of response i would get from there. Please let me know what you guys think. I greatly appreciate any help that i may recieve.

-Jalal

1400watts? Hmm, might be a tad overkill, but I was told that my 1300w RMS amp would be perfect for the 15A.22 in a 3cube ported box by Ben himself... power handling wise, I dont' think it's that different between the 12 and 15...

If your gonna get that sub there is no point in getting an amp that powerful. You waste money buying a more powerful amp and you might blow the sub, I would go with 1000watts.

Originally posted by bumpin_blazer with that much power if it blows anytime during the 3 year warranty period it will not be covered.

adam
ED says that the max wrms power that the 12A can handle is 1500wrms. Why would i not be covered?

-Jalal

Originally posted by MJ23FE ED says that the max wrms power that the 12A can handle is 1500wrms. Why would i not be covered?

-Jalal
b/c your sub will be sent with a burnt coil. ben would look at it and laugh if you sent him a sub with a burnt coil and expected a brand new one. why not get a slightly smaller amp man?? anything much over 1kw if not needed to make this sub reach full xcursion.

adam

Originally posted by MJ23FE ED says that the max wrms power that the 12A can handle is 1500wrms. Why would i not be covered?

-Jalal
The rms ratings all depend on the box. 1500 watts would be something for like .5 cu ft sealed

Originally posted by paikiah 1400watts? Hmm, might be a tad overkill, but I was told that my 1300w RMS amp would be perfect for the 15A.22 in a 3cube ported box by Ben himself... power handling wise, I dont' think it's that different between the 12 and 15...

why would it be to much? 3 cubes ported seems like the 12 could take more than 1300 since it would be sealed. Just my opinion though.

Originally posted by BDIDDY why would it be to much? 3 cubes ported seems like the 12 could take more than 1300 since it would be sealed. Just my opinion though.
sealed 3cuft for 1 e12a is stupidly big. you go 3cuft ported with 1400 watts you better be prepared to lose your warranty. the second it's hooked up to that much power you take risk of voiding your warranty.

adam

Originally posted by bumpin_blazer sealed 3cuft for 1 e12a is stupidly big. you go 3cuft ported with 1400 watts you better be prepared to lose your warranty. the second it's hooked up to that much power you take risk of voiding your warranty.

adam

What I meant was that he had a 1.2 cuft box. sorry.

Originally posted by BDIDDY What I meant was that he had a 1.2 cuft box. sorry.
300 dollar driver and you can always get an amp that does 200-300 watts less so it's about 1.5db's quiter you won't notice that dif. IMO. but hey his money his sub he can do as he chooses.

adam

Well how about this guys.

What if i were to buy an Avionixx AXT 800.2 to power the ED 12A.22, and than later on if i felt that i wanted another 12A i could buy the Tantrum 1200.1 and just use the AXT 800.2 to power my components. If the AXT 1200.1

What do you guys think of that plan?

-Jalal

Originally posted by MJ23FE I am considering buying the Tantrum 1200.1 from Sound Domain since i got them to price match. Regardless, i am going to be buying an Elemental Design 12A.22 subwoofer which will be dropped into a 1.2cu.ft. SubZone sealed enclosure. I also might get a ported enclosure built for it later down the road, but for now it will be in the sealed enclosure.

My question is now this, will the 1400wRMS+@4/2ohm that the Tantrum puts out be to powerful for the 12A? I want the sub to really hit hard, but also keep the SQ that it is capable of producing, but i do not want to jeopordize the sub and pump to much power into it. What do you guys think? I also posted this in the Amplifier forum just to see what kind of response i would get from there. Please let me know what you guys think. I greatly appreciate any help that i may recieve.

-Jalal
Wait a min... ur gettin a prefab box???!?!!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.