egg crate in box?

Don't try and use fill to "make a box larger", because it's robbing peter to pay paul, the damping action of fill will reduce your output far more than the effect of making the box appear larger will increase it.

There are valid applications where fill is very usefull, but using it to make an enclosure appear larger isn't one of them.

also, the 1lb to 1cu' is the recommended amount to "smooth" out the waves with out causing any negative reactions. 1lb is not equal to adding 1cu'....if that was the case i'd have my B15 in a .5cu' with 3lbs of polyfilli in it and have plenty of trunk room....lol

oh yeah...the original Q, use the polyfll....the padding is too dense, use the padding for sound deadening and rattles.

Don't try and use fill to "make a box larger", because it's robbing peter to pay paul, the damping action of fill will reduce your output far more than the effect of making the box appear larger will increase it.
There are valid applications where fill is very usefull, but using it to make an enclosure appear larger isn't one of them.
Interesting. While there have been tests performed/published on the effects of damping on an enclosure, none of them show this phenomenon you speak of.

Care to share a link?

Best,

Mark

Interesting. While there have been tests performed/published on the effects of damping on an enclosure, none of them show this phenomenon you speak of.
Care to share a link?

Best,

Mark
I don't have any links, this stems from my own research, the published fill tests don't show this effect since they don't test for it (why I have no idea) all they do is assume that overall enclosure QTC and FS reduces as you increase enclosure volume (true) and they observe that adding fill reduces QTC and FS (true) and come to the reasonable conclusion that adding fill makes the enclosure appear larger (true).

This is all fine and good untill you look at the output of an unfilled enclosure compared to a filled one, the peak SPL of the filled enclosure will be up to 3db less than the unfilled one (that's like halving your amplifier power), and this is just with sealed enclosures, ported enclosures can be effected far more.

I recalibrated BBP6's damping calculations based on my measured data, and here is an example of why adding fill is counter productive if increased output is your goal.

The white trace is a Type arr 12'' in 1.5cuft tuned to 35hz, let's assume we ****ed up and really wanted 2cuft tuned to 35 instead (red trace) so we add fill to our 1.5cuft to "fool" it into thinking it's a larger enclosure, pretty smart eah? Well mabie not since what we end up with is the green trace, 3db lower at 50hz and 6db lower at 40hz...

damping.gif

What it comes down to is the fact that enclosure resonance makes bass, that's the entire point of a ported box, to resonate at a set frequency, fill damps this resonance (reduces it), it's like trying to ring a bell while holding the bell mouth with both hands.

I'm not saying that fill should never be used, I use it all the time in SQ focused setups that sacrifice SPL for SQ, it's just that trying to apply it like a bandaid to street systems where the goal is LOUD but you messed up on the enclosure dimentions is just going to make things quieter, not louder.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.