Effects of box size

Participant count
  • Participant list
Generic question: If the ideal sealed box for a particular sub is 0.5 cu ft and you put it in a 0.7 cu ft box, what's the likely result in the way it will sound?
It will lower the power handling just like putting a sub in a smaller then recommended box will allow you to feed it more power, as for in a sealed enclosure I don't think you will see a major sound difference.

Generic question: If the ideal sealed box for a particular sub is 0.5 cu ft and you put it in a 0.7 cu ft box, what's the likely result in the way it will sound?
Like def said, maybe a little bit lower power handling, but sensitivity should go up too..and some cases can gain a little more LF extension...but it is totally dependent on the sub. Some can handle and actually do better in a bigger box once broken in and some reach mechanical limits too quickly to justify doing it.

Generic Question:

Which sub?

sealed boxes are much more forgiving than ported boxes, power handling won't change, you might be a little better low end extension and less of a peak in the response curve, nothing major though, you probably won't even notice the change to be honest.

Like def said, maybe a little bit lower power handling, but sensitivity should go up too..and some cases can gain a little more LF extension...but it is totally dependent on the sub. Some can handle and actually do better in a bigger box once broken in and some reach mechanical limits too quickly to justify doing it.
Generic Question:

Which sub?
A Boston G3 10". Ideal box is .5 according to the specs, and I have an old .7 cu ft box already made. I'm gonna give it a try. Thanks guys.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.