Eclipse (or any 4 channel amp) Wiring/Setup Help

Participant count
  • Participant list

downsider
10+ year member

HELL
I just bought a new eclipse 32440 to power my speakers. (I was planning on getting a smaller amp, but couldn't pass it up for $199) I am guessing this is a really good amp figuring it usually goes for around $360. Right now I have the front 2 channels powering my front 2 speakers, and rear 2 to the rear speakers. My question is this....

I still have a shiva (300w rms) that needs to be powered. I have a jbl 600.1 that I used to have powering it, but was thinking of wiring all my speaks to the eclipse. So I would wire all the front and rear speakers on the same (front) channel. I would then bridge the rear 2 and run it to my sub. Now it says if i bridge the 2 channels, I would get 240watts rms at 4ohms. This setup is even an illustration in the manual.

I wouldnt be overpowering my amp by doing this would I. I do not really need all that much power for all 4 speakers on 4 channels. Right now for my speakers, I only have the gains maybe 1/4 way up on both channels. The only disadvantages of doing this new setup would be having no rear/front fade, and that I would only be sending 240w (but I am guessing the eclipse amp is a little under-rated)

to my sub instead of 300 (from my jbl 600.1 at 4 ohms)

The manual doesnt give the output of bridging the 2 rear channels at 2 ohms (which my shiva can also handle) so I'm guessing it isnt a good idea.

So if i do hook all speakers and my sub to this amp, I wouldn't be overpushing it would I? Would the sub sound better running off the eclipse's 240w than the jbl's 300? Will my speakers sound worse having 2 channels running them over 4? It would really make things a lot easier if I am running just the one amp instead of having the jbl just for my sub and the eclipse just for my speakers. Please give me any advice on this area. Do any other of you have a sub and 4 speakers running off a 4 channel amp? Any advice or insight will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

just get another amp tp power the subs, easier in the long run... bridging on rear channels then serie/parallel in front channel can confuse the amp, resulting in overheating/protection mode..

your amp can handle it BUT your sub wont. you will need to run the front chanel in 8 ohms. thats if you have 4 speakers going to the amp. thro in som tweets and it gets confuseing to wire but with my experienc with thses amps is that the voice coil berns out of the sub really fast not shure why i gess under powered or something. your really better off getting sepreat amp for the sub

Personally I disagree whith both of these guys. If the amp is 2ohm stable, run a front channel to 2 speakers and the other front to the other 2 providing a 2ohm load to each channel. (wiring them in parallel.) Bridge the 2 rear channels and run them to the sub at a 4ohm load. This way you would have balance but no fade.

If the amp is not 2ohm stable then I suggest using the jbl600 for the sub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.