Eclipse 7200 vs. Kenwood X993

I know the 9887 is very popular here but at 400.00 I dont think Im that interested.I mean Im not looking for something with a super pretty display but the Alpine just doesnt appeal to me.Id spend the extra 50.00 for the 7200 and get the BT.Just out of curiosity why would you say the Alpine is a better comparison to the Kenwood?
pirce/features wise... actually the cd7200, x993, and 9887 compare pretty well against each other!

Alpine does have the best iPod control out of all them, user friendly, and has the fewest problems...

I dont think Ill be going active.Ive been kind of leaning towards the Kenwood for a little while now.After seeing the 7200 I wasnt sure,its a very nice HU.
What's the purpose of dropping that much on the 7200 if you don't go active? And are you anti Pioneer? the 800PRS is a nice deck too.

is the ta preset though like the x889 or is it 5 channel like the x991?
not really sure. mine is sitting in the box waiting for the car to finish being repaired. the description on the crutchfield site confuses me as well.

first, about ta, they say:

Digital Time Alignment (DTA): Choose from 0.00 to 14.44 feet for the Front pair of speakers, Rear pair of speakers and Subwoofer distances in reference to the distance between your listening positioning and the locations of the particular speakers.

the, about listening position, they say:

For a better sound-stage you can select your optimal listening position. You can choose from All, Front Left, Front Right or Front. You can also select to manually fine tune the sound stage by selecting the distance for each individual speaker in the vehicle compared to your listening position. You can select between 0.00 to 5.58 feet for the Left Front Speaker, Right Front Speaker, Left Rear Speaker, Right Rear Speaker, Left Subwoofer and/or Right Subwoofer.

now i may be reading it wrong somehow, but i get that you can only set the ta for the front speakers together, not individually. that contradicts what they are saying for the listening position, right? if that is the case, isn't the whole point of having ta that you can adjust the sound so that it all lands on the driver's head at the same time? who sits in the middle of the car to drive?

not really sure. mine is sitting in the box waiting for the car to finish being repaired. the description on the crutchfield site confuses me as well.

Digital Time Alignment (DTA): Choose from 0.00 to 14.44 feet for the Front pair of speakers, Rear pair of speakers and Subwoofer distances in reference to the distance between your listening positioning and the locations of the particular speakers.

For a better sound-stage you can select your optimal listening position. You can choose from All, Front Left, Front Right or Front. You can also select to manually fine tune the sound stage by selecting the distance for each individual speaker in the vehicle compared to your listening position. You can select between 0.00 to 5.58 feet for the Left Front Speaker, Right Front Speaker, Left Rear Speaker, Right Rear Speaker, Left Subwoofer and/or Right Subwoofer.

now i may be reading it wrong somehow, but i get that you can only set the ta for the front speakers together, not individually. that contradicts what they are saying for the listening position, right? if that is the case, isn't the whole point of having ta that you can adjust the sound so that it all lands on the driver's head at the same time? who sits in the middle of the car to drive?
looks to be 5 channel then

looks to be 5 channel then
actually the ta would be 3 channel according to the description. you can adjust the front speakers (both at the same setting only), rear speakers (same) and the sub(s).

what i want to know is what is the difference between ta and delaying the speakers based on listening position.

this is what i'm referring to

but that is not the ta, if it was it would be listed under the ta function in the manual. the ta section clearly states that you can only adjust the speakers in sets - both fronts as one, both rears as one, sub(s) as one. i called kenwood and the ts guy i got could not explain it to me either.

the 993 has ta.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

**** had no idea, my bad

not to thread jack, but does anyone know of some decks that are have T/A for 4+ channels (3way plus sub)

I have a 993 as a loner right now till my 991 gets back. I can tell you that the backlighting for the display is not good. It is hard to read from 8am till 7pm. If the sun is up its going to irritate you. Also the 993 does not have the same level of built in eq adjustments that the 991 has. Now this probably has something to do with the lack of adjustment but honestly it seems as though the 993 is missing something as far as how it represents the sound. I have only had the deck in for about 3 days and havent spend more than 20 minutes adjusting it so I honestly cant quit put my finger on it, but something doesnt quit sound right in my opinion in comparison to the 991.

finally got my 993 installed and i both love it and hate it. the sq is pretty **** good - everything sounds really great. as stated the display is **** in the daytime. they also seemed to have really dumbed down the controls. you can set it for things like compact car / sedan / suv / large suv which changes the sounds around quite a bit. for some reason it also wants to know what type of speakers are installed (6.5", 6x9, etc) and their location. t/a can only be adjusted for the front speakers together, rear together and sub. works perfectly with the iphone 3g and charges it as well. i haven't really played with it a lot but so far i am mostly happy with my purchase but that display is a real bummer.

all the kenwoods use that display, my 791 is the same. Its not that big of a deal to me, but it is a pain. Just because its bright outside doesnt mean the sun is always directly on the hu, i only find myself unable to see it every once in a while

I hear you about the display during the daylight hours. That one reason why Alpine displays are so nice! I have the X-990, and that is the only thing about that deck to actually moan about just a bit. It's not a big deal to me either, because I am happy with everything else about the X-990. The sound quality is sooooo good!!!

I just got one of the cheaper Kenwoods, the 592 and absolutely love it. It replaced my Pioneer 4000UB. Using my iPod on the Kenwood is SOO much easier than on the Pioneer. As far as SQ, I'll give it to the Kenwood again. I also got a lot more features with the Kenwood as well. The ONLY complaint I have is the display in sunlight. At times, it can be really difficult to see whats on there. Although, most HU's I've seen have this issue to some degree. All in all, I love Kenwood.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.