Eclipse 55040 vs Eclipse CD8454

dsw1204

CarAudio.com Elite
I currently own an old Eclipse 55040. The sound quality from this unit is better than anything I've heard from anything that is currently being offered. However, I cannot run music from my Iphone 5S through it (it is too old and does not have the proper inputs for this). So, I have purchased an NOS (New, Old Stock) Eclipse CD8455. I should be able to run music from my Iphone 5S though it. My question is: Does anyone know if the sound quality of the CD8454 is as good as the sound quality of the 55040? Music from the 55040 is absolutely phenomenal, it's like the next best thing to listening to live music. I would hate to lose this if I switched to the CD8454. Does anyone know?

Last edited by a moderator:
The CD8454 is a high quality unit. I owned one along with other Eclipse HU's (CD8455, CD7000). I wouldn't have issues running one again.

This is in reply to the member "What Was That": As I said in my post, I cannot run music through my Iphone because the 55040 does not have the connections. There is no usb port, nor is there an AUX input. It came out about 1999 and is a competition grade CD player/radio only. Thus, because it was introduced so long ago, there is no way to hook up an Iphone to it. There are just not any connections anywhere on the head unit to do so. Sound quality is absolutely outstanding, although, which is why I purchased it.

You say I can do better than a CD8454? Are you telling me that the SQ won't be as good as that of the 55040? What recommendations do you have? I am interested in your opinions.

Actually I was thinking of the 8455. It had that horrible screen. The 8454 is fine. The sq from both will be similar. The ECD 415, ECD 510, 8053, 8061, 55090, 55060, CD7200 all would be better. Don't let me sell you short though. The 55040 is fine. Just limited features. They had three models that were better the year it came out. If you grab a 39011 or 2301 DSP you can add a auxiliary input. SOME older Eclipse units and all the units after 2004 work with the e-lan (13 pin) to auxiliary/iPod adapter. You just hold down the CD button until it switches to aux. Some external eq's have input selectors. Some Eclipse head units from 2000ish had switchable RCA's. You can change them from outputs to inputs. Maybe yours? Definitely the 55430.

If you can find a top of the line unit that was built by 2003 or earlier (55040, 55060, 55090, cd8051, cd8061, cd8052, cd8053), I think you would find any of those to be an excellent deck. All of those previous mentioned decks have 8V preouts and that is what I wanted in my next unit. I am not sure about their line after that time period. Personally, I was looking for an unused dead head unit (one without an amp built in the unit) but those are getting very difficult to find. I found the CD8454 (which has a built-in amp but also 8V preouts) on Ebay still new in the box and I bought it (paid about $150 for it).

My 55040 replaced a 9000 series Kenwood Excelon unit and it blew the Kenwood unit out of the water. The SQ difference was like night and day.

Ive run and still have the 5303r and now have a 8454 in my truck. I never used but heard the 7200 was a tad bit off in the SQ but easier to use and better DSP. All those older eclipse sound good, really good. I had a couple of dead head Alpines from the early 2000s that sounded really good, and these eclipse were slightly better. The really old dead heads like my 5303 sounded the best but I could never get my IPOd to run on it. I do remember on EBAY you could get the plugs that attached IPods and hooked them through the CD changer port. As stated above, you hit one of the bottons to turn the cd changer into an AUX.

Hi Jroo,

Can you tell me more about these plugs that attach IPods (and I hope the IPhone 5S) to my Eclipse 55040? I know my unit has a CD Changer button but I did not know that there was some sort of interface that would connect the two devices through that button. I am very interested! You say you can get them through Ebay. What are these plugs called? Thanks for any info.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.