Easy Wiring Question!!

Participant count
  • Participant list

CodyHendo
10+ year member

So i am a noob to the whole mids and highs game, putting them on an amp and what not, and had a problem my first try before i could even hook everything up.

I bought an aq200.2, 4 6.5pwxs (8 ohm), and 4 ft1 tweets (4 ohm), with the crossovers. (i figured i would go all out for my next build and start with a front stage that can keep up.) so i had planned on running all four of each speaker onto one channel each of the 200.2 (all ft1s on one channel and all pwxs on the other), but was later informed that since i only have one set of filters on the 200.2, that wouldnt be in my best interest, and would sound like crap. After some explanation, it all made sense to me.

To fix the problem, here is what i did. I went ahead and bought 4 pwx 8s, and an aq120.4.

Now i plan to run the four tweets on two channels of the 120.4, and the 6.5s on the other two channels, so they now each have their own set of filters. Then i will run two of the 8s on each channel of the 200.2.

Heres where you experts come in for the easy questions... I will not need the crossovers for the tweets then correct? because i have a whole set of filters specifically for each type of speaker? also how would i run rcas for this setup? should i be looking at equalizers too? or? Any help with this would be extremely appreciated.

Also, with this setup i will be running sky high 12 gauge, would there be any difference if i were to use cca instead of ofc? realistically...

Where are you mounting the 4 tweeters? Where are you mounting the 4 6.5" mids?

If you want to amp your tweets and mids separately then amp them ALL separately. Do not wire any speakers in parallel - especially front and rear sides - you will not be able to adjust the rear fill and will likely sound crappy.

Either: don't wire rears at all and just wire the front doors with one speaker per channel on the amp

OR: Use the passive crossovers and wire the fronts to 2 channels and the rears to two channels.

All 4 ft1s, all 4 pwx 6.5s, and all 4 pwx 8s are going in the front doors.
OK. Not sure why you want to do that, but.... As long as the amps have HP, BP and LP filters with correct crossover freqs for your drivers, you do not need any external filters. The amp must have a HP filter for the tweets, a LP filter for the 8" drivers and a BP filter for the 6.5" drivers for optimal crossing.

As far as your other questions, I have no idea if you need an EQ and I don't know what you are wiring the amps to so can't recommend RCA connections.

What headunit?

What is your goal with this install? So far it looks like you are going for *visual* impact by installing a bunch of speakers in the doors.

What kind of sound are you aiming for?

Do you have a sub anywhere in the system?

OK. Not sure why you want to do that, but.... As long as the amps have HP, BP and LP filters with correct crossover freqs for your drivers, you do not need any external filters. The amp must have a HP filter for the tweets, a LP filter for the 8" drivers and a BP filter for the 6.5" drivers for optimal crossing.
As far as your other questions, I have no idea if you need an EQ and I don't know what you are wiring the amps to so can't recommend RCA connections.

What headunit?

What is your goal with this install? So far it looks like you are going for *visual* impact by installing a bunch of speakers in the doors.

What kind of sound are you aiming for?

Do you have a sub anywhere in the system?
I got a good deal on everything so im trying to put it to use in my next big build

Well, not sure on head unit, need suggestions for that as well. Was going to wait tili was going to buy it for it to be talked about but since ya brought it up.. haha

And i dont know much about the mids and highs game, so no im not going for visual impact, i wanted to do badas$ doors that could keep up with a large sub stage later on. I just dont know what im doing with the mids and highs and 2 and 4 channel amps. From the idiots point of view (mine lol) i could do the front doors well because i have filters on the 2 and 4 channel for each type of speaker. BUT like i said im kind of an idiot when it comes to this so maybe i have just completely effed everything up.

I was going for really beasty front stage. I am planning on doing 4 DC lvl 3 or 4 15s in the future so i want my doors to keep up with ease.

OK - I am probably going to drop out of this discussion. You obviously are going for SPL. My experience is in lower power SQ builds for every day use. I will let some of the SPL guys chime in here.

For a good sounding system, I would only put one of each driver in the front only. (one 8", one 6.5" and one tweet, properly crossed over - active is fine) in front locations (read up on a-pillars, doors, and kick panel mounting and aiming on/off axis). I would definitely add a sub. No speakers in rear, or maybe coax's for slight fill only. You need to plan for the sub now, so that you get the right amount of power into everything. All my opinions only. Cheers

You don't need the same number of tweeters as mids in order to accomplish what you're looking to accomplish. Tweeters are much more efficient than midrange/midbass drivers. Also, tweeter placement is critical. If they're not on axis with the listening positions, they won't be loud enough and the solution (to most) is to add more of them... usually off axis again. When that happens, you end up with bright, harsh treble that creates more screeching than music.

So start by planning the locations of two pair of tweeters, preferably in the windshield posts and as high as you can get them, with the left tweeter(s) aimed at the passenger and the right at the driver. Then, you'll want to run the tweets in series, as they don't need anywhere near the power mids and below need.

If you're running a head unit or processor that can do three way active, then you'll need three RCA cables (bass, mid & high) but if your source is only front, rear & sub, then all of the front stage speakers should be run off the front output. You can run to the 2 channel and then from it to the 4 channel and then use y connectors to hit all four channels on the 4.

Also, deaden the hell out of the doors. And then, deaden the hell out of the doors. Lastly, deaden the hell out of the doors.

EDIT: Deaden the hell out of the doors.

I would use the crossovers for the tweets as they are tuned at the factory. Without knowing what kind of head unit I would just run all the front door amps from the front channel off the deck. Hell even if we did know I would probably still do it that way anyway. One set of rca's from the head to either amp and use the output rca's from one amp to the other to pass the signal through. from there the 4ch amp has a 2ch 4ch input switch, just select 2ch input. 12 ga should suffice for signal from amp to speakers. Other than that sounds like you are on track. with that many speakers going into the doors I would make sure your build out is ****** tough. BTW deaden the hell out of your doors.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.