Dynamat vs. fear of door-skin remove/replace

mcsoul
10+ year member

such is life
dfw
I want to install Dynamat in my car doors, just the front doors. However I have had some bad experiences with my old crappy cars such as all three camaros and the thunderchicken. Door skins come off, but they never quite stay back on.

Now I have an 04 altima 3.5 SE, the quality of the interior is better, but not great. I am having a lot of fear about doing the install myself, and there is no way I can to pay a professional to do the "inside-outside-then egg crate" job I'm looking for.

I work from home and my wife has a car I can use (stay at home mom), so I can take my time, a week or two if needed.

I looked at the walkthroug on the sticky, and it seems to deal mostly with dynamat adhesion techniques, which is great. However, my biggest fear is door panel adhesion! I need a walkthrough (one for 02-06 Altima would be great) on proper door panel removal and replacement. I looked at the altima forums and could not find one. I'll have to settle for a generic one, or one from another car type.

Can anyone point me to some walkthroughs or give me some tips on door panel remove/replace?

Thank you.

I want to install Dynamat in my car doors, just the front doors. However I have had some bad experiences with my old crappy cars such as all three camaros and the thunderchicken. Door skins come off, but they never quite stay back on.
Now I have an 04 altima 3.5 SE, the quality of the interior is better, but not great. I am having a lot of fear about doing the install myself, and there is no way I can to pay a professional to do the "inside-outside-then egg crate" job I'm looking for.

I work from home and my wife has a car I can use (stay at home mom), so I can take my time, a week or two if needed.

I looked at the walkthroug on the sticky, and it seems to deal mostly with dynamat adhesion techniques, which is great. However, my biggest fear is door panel adhesion! I need a walkthrough (one for 02-06 Altima would be great) on proper door panel removal and replacement. I looked at the altima forums and could not find one. I'll have to settle for a generic one, or one from another car type.

Can anyone point me to some walkthroughs or give me some tips on door panel remove/replace?

Thank you.
im sure deadening will be easier in the altima. Just make sure your deadening the INSIDE of the door panel (so the edge of the door panel isnt being pushed out because of deadener) and that you cut out spots around the clips so their wont be any interference there. As long as you do this you wil be fine. I have3 layers of raamaat BXT (which is thicker than dynamat) on my front doors and i got the panels back on no problem.

And please, if you havent bought the dynamat yet, use something else. Secondskin as reccomended above, or Raamat. Both are just as good if not better than dynamat, and run a fraction of the cost. Raamat can be found at http://www.raamaudio.com

im sure deadening will be easier in the altima. Just make sure your deadening the INSIDE of the door panel (so the edge of the door panel isnt being pushed out because of deadener) and that you cut out spots around the clips so their wont be any interference there. As long as you do this you wil be fine. I have3 layers of raamaat BXT (which is thicker than dynamat) on my front doors and i got the panels back on no problem.
And please, if you havent bought the dynamat yet, use something else. Secondskin as reccomended above, or Raamat. Both are just as good if not better than dynamat, and run a fraction of the cost. Raamat can be found at http://www.raamaudio.com
raamat is not better than dynamat //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif It is a better bang for the buck though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

You people rock, thanks! I found this demo on youtube, looks pretty good.

I have not purchased the mat yet, but since I'm going into the door I might as well

replace the crappy Clarion components with the Boston Pros or the JL C5's. I'm leaning

towards the Bostons due to recommendations and cost, the question is can I trust sonicelectronix.com?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_2886_Boston+Acoustics+PRO60.html

We'll see!

I'll also go with damplifier (or pro) or raamat; not dynamat.

thanks.

Maybe buy a clip puller if you are afraid of breaking the clips. It's a curved screwdriver looking tool with forks on the end. Also, if you do break any clips you can buy them at most parts stores. Most of the time broken clips are the reason for panels not going back on properly...solve that problem and you should be good to go. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I have not purchased the mat yet, but since I'm going into the door I might as well

replace the crappy Clarion components with the Boston Pros or the JL C5's. I'm leaning

towards the Bostons due to recommendations and cost, the question is can I trust sonicelectronix.com?
Sonic Electronix is an authorized internet retailer for several brands (including Kicker) so they're probably pretty reliable. They also have an eBay store if you want some extra protection.

I don't know what type of sound you like, but I'd go all over the C5's instead of the Pros. The Pro's unobtainium/kryptonite alloy tweeter murder my ears and you have to pump lots of power into them to get good midbass.

The soft dome JL tweeter has a fuller sound that won't screech your ears.

For that kind of money, you might try looking at the Hertz Hi Energy or whichever Morel is sold in that price range. If you do like hard tweeters, head for Focal. They do them the best.

But demo before you buy.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.