Dual subs... help?

Bigdaddyjk

hey guys heres the deal. i am a car audio novice. i just recently aquired a 2000 dodge dakota and would like to add some subs to it. i need you guys to tell me what the best way of going about this is.

i have seen some dual bass enclosures that will fit under the rear cab seat.

( 2 - 10")

http://cgi.ebay.com/MTX-THUNDERFORM-DODGE-DAKOTA-10-Subs-97-03-LIKE-NEW_W0QQitemZ9711144377QQcategoryZ32823QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem.

this seems the most logical way of acomplishing my task so i was wondering if u could tell me what kind and how powerfull should my amps be.

now, the truck already has some aftermarket stuff in it.

it has a 300 watt amplifier under one of the rear cab seats and the reciever provides 200 watts. it has some sony speakers (they are red coaxial) and thats about as much as i know...

i dont want to spend too to much money cause im broke but if you could just generally tell me what a decent set up will be and how to acomplish it, i would be very happy:p Thanks in advance!!!

John K

o well it said 200 watts on it...

look, i just need to know what i will need for that MTX Thunderform subwoofer enclosure... (which amps, crossovers...)

also, this is just an enclosure not a box - will the sound be bad because its not in a box??

i got a thunderform in my 2003 dakota. it'll give decent bass in the cab, but not very SPL loud... i can get it bumping enough to shake the rearview mirror.

do you know what drivers are in the thunderform? MTX provided either thunder 6000s or 4500s. the 4500s are rated at 225 wrms. i've seen these powered by as little as 200w, i had a mtx 801d shoot 400w into them. 300watts out of the pioneer will suit these fine.

if all you have is the empty thunderform, any 10 inch driver with a mounting depth of less than 4.65 inches shoulld fit, provided the magnet diameter isn't huge. i fit adire koda 10s into mine with a little bit of cutting.

ok so do u recommend getting the thunderform without its stock speakers and installing better woofers? or is it good enough... i want something that the car next to me will be able to feel..

maybe i should go with something totally diff from the thunderform?

is there any other options then the thunderform for the dakota?

also what about adding a bazooka behind the seats... what are your feelings on that...

definitely get better woofers... the stock ones were ok, but i when i upgraded it was a big improvement. if you want to shake other cars i recommend a setup with bigger subs like this
vbgarage.php
, if you don't mind losing the back seat. this setup was metered at 140dB.

i've heard this single setup in person, it had some thump i could feel away from his truck (pic is reversed, sub is actually behind the driver seat)

753085_20.jpg

can't give a good opinion on a bazooka tube, the only one i heard wasn't loud, but i suspected it wasn't setup properly.

i went with a thunderform because it was conveniently prebuilt and let me keep the back seats for occasional ride-alongs. kind of a tradeoff, for real loud stuff the back seats will have to go.

Bazooka tubes ****. Thunderforms arent your best route either if you honestly want to shake the car next to you. You need to do a major build up to do that. Start from the beginning.

Let's start here:

Nothing wrong with being a novice, friend. We all have to start somewhere, right? My very first aftermarket head unit was burnt up (by me) because of having entirely too many speakers of varying impedences to it and viola! Magic Smoke was the result...

So! Please do not pay the first bit of attention to the wattage ratings printed so garishly on the surface of a product. More often than not these will be peak power ratings and at the end of the day - they are basically worthless figures good for nothing more than some marketing executive to be happy that their idea of printing useless numbers somewhere on a product made a sale or three.

Your JVC doesn't do 200 watts today or any other day. if your Pioneer amp says 300 watts somewhere on the chassis of the unit I can safely tell you it won't do 300 watts for you either. What is the model number of that amp if you can see it well enough to tell?

also, this is just an enclosure not a box - will the sound be bad because its not in a box??
Generally the terms 'enclosure' and 'box' are interchangeable. It doesn't have to be a traditional 'box' shape to be your subwoofer box. Provided that it gives the drivers loaded into it the appropriate air volume (which will differ depending on the specific driver in question) it doesn't matter what its exact shape may be.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Bigdaddyjk

Bigdaddyjk
Marlborough Ct
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
Prowler573