dual SA 12, around 4ft in subaru out, tuned at 33hz

Participant count
  • Participant list

thatguy12
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Building my first enclosure and having some trouble. This will be going in a 2001 Subaru outback wagon. I have two sa 12s, my current box has a very short ranupge a playable frequencies, none are below 40hz. This box i want tuned low, I want to do subs up. Max dimensions are 42 width, 14 height, and up to 21 depth. What port design would be the best for this application, i have heard "L" Ports can cause unloading issuess with dual subwoofer setups. aero ports were my first choice but my designs were not working necause i couldnt find a good spot to place them.any advise would be appreciated, thank you

"L" ports don't cause loading issues in and of themselves. It depends on where the throat of the port winds up in relation to the subs (on the inside of the box).

You can alleviate that by doing dual slots on either side of the subs or a center slot that splits near the back wall. You just want to keep it symmetrical to prevent loading issues.

In a hatch/wagon, I'd do subs up and port(s) back. With 21" depth, you'll be fine with aeros. (2) 4" aeros 14" long will get you where you want to be.

"L" ports don't cause loading issues in and of themselves. It depends on where the throat of the port winds up in relation to the subs (on the inside of the box).
You can alleviate that by doing dual slots on either side of the subs or a center slot that splits near the back wall. You just want to keep it symmetrical to prevent loading issues.

In a hatch/wagon, I'd do subs up and port(s) back. With 21" depth, you'll be fine with aeros. (2) 4" aeros 14" long will get you where you want to be.
as this is my first box i have built by myself i would like to avoid dual slot ports and not enough time to order aero ports now, sadly. in your opinion what style of port would be ideal for subs up port back. my current box has a single "i' port in the center and it causes port noise and overall want to try different style. have you ever worked with "S" style ports, and if so how did they preform.

sorry for annoying questions, i appreciate it though thank you.

as this is my first box i have built by myself i would like to avoid dual slot ports and not enough time to order aero ports now, sadly. in your opinion what style of port would be ideal for subs up port back. my current box has a single "i' port in the center and it causes port noise and overall want to try different style. have you ever worked with "S" style ports, and if so how did they preform.sorry for annoying questions, i appreciate it though thank you.
The "I" port design isn't causing the noise. It's probably a lack of port area.

I've done snake ports a lot because the smaller boxes I usually deal with pretty much require them. They're fine but they can get funky when you have multiple subs because the throat will almost invariably end up closer to one than the other.

I don't think it's any easier, but you could do a "box" port depending on your design. It's just a square aero (sort of). You just build a 4 sided box and jab it in the box. Easy enough. You still need plenty of port area and the length might prohbit this style, but it's an option. Otherwise, I'd do a vertical "I" port.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.