Dual DCON 15's vs Single ICON 18

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hey everyone just a quick question, I have a 2000 Astro van that I will be putting subs in in a few months, and I am trying to decide between two configurations (for now, I will be going with something more extreme sometime next year). Either 2 SSA DCON 15's on 750 RMS, or a Single ICON 18 on 1000RMS. I am using the stock 105 amp alternator right now so I don't wanna go too crazy high on power usage (would like to avoid light dimming, will eventually get a Mechman alt).

So, a couple questions. Which one is going to have more output dB wise? Which one is going to have the best SQ? Which one is going to flex the "most" so to speak?

Thanks for any help, I haven't heard either in person so I figured someone here probably has heard both.

Hey everyone just a quick question, I have a 2000 Astro van that I will be putting subs in in a few months, and I am trying to decide between two configurations (for now, I will be going with something more extreme sometime next year). Either 2 SSA DCON 15's on 750 RMS, or a Single ICON 18 on 1000RMS. I am using the stock 105 amp alternator right now so I don't wanna go too crazy high on power usage (would like to avoid light dimming, will eventually get a Mechman alt).
So, a couple questions. Which one is going to have more output dB wise? Which one is going to have the best SQ? Which one is going to flex the "most" so to speak?

Thanks for any help, I haven't heard either in person so I figured someone here probably has heard both.
how big of a box can you fit?

I like low power big cone area sealed builds. They sound really nice. OP, make sure you brace the hell out of that box if you go that way. You'll think "oh, it's just 1000W, I'm fine" but you will be wrong.

on the higher and SQ oriented end, JBL GT5s.
On the dirt cheap end would be lanzar max pro 15s or MCM 15s. Even though its lanzar, its one of their sleeper subs.
Ah alright I see, what would the advantage to the 6 15's be, just more cone area? Would this end up being louder/giving more flex or what? Thanks for the idea though that's a great thought.

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

I like low power big cone area sealed builds. They sound really nice. OP, make sure you brace the hell out of that box if you go that way. You'll think "oh, it's just 1000W, I'm fine" but you will be wrong.
Oh yeah I would brace it, that many subs moving would destroy a box for sure, I've almost destroyed a box in the past with a single Sundown X8 (it was a ****** prefab box but still) lol. I think people greatly underpredict what subs can do to a box.

Ah alright I see, what would the advantage to the 6 15's be, just more cone area? Would this end up being louder/giving more flex or what? Thanks for the idea though that's a great thought. 

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

Oh yeah I would brace it, that many subs moving would destroy a box for sure, I've almost destroyed a box in the past with a single Sundown X8 (it was a ****** prefab box but still) lol. I think people greatly underpredict what subs can do to a box.
Should get louder than two 15s ported but will also have smooth linear sound with wider bandwidth mainly up top. Not as peaky down low in the high 20hz with authority as it could be with ported but will definitely can play very low still with decent loudness. SQ will be great for any musical genre, wont miss a beat and accurate as well. I normally dont like small sealed setups with like two tens sealed etc... Weak.... but with a lot of cone area aka 6 15s, they can jam and sound pretty good.

With the 6 15s though, your optimal ohm load will be around 2.66 with tge single 4 ohm subs and. 1.33 ohms with dual 4 ohm options. So dont worry if you buy a 1500 rms amp, it'll be relatively close to the same current draw of the two 15s wired to 1 ohm on a 1000rms.

Should get louder than two 15s ported but will also have smooth linear sound with wider bandwidth mainly up top. Not as peaky down low in the high 20hz with authority as it could be with ported but will definitely can play very low still with decent loudness. SQ will be great for any musical genre, wont miss a beat and accurate as well. I normally dont like small sealed setups with like two tens sealed etc... Weak.... but with a lot of cone area aka 6 15s, they can jam and sound pretty good.
With the 6 15s though, your optimal ohm load will be around 2.66 with tge single 4 ohm subs and. 1.33 ohms with dual 4 ohm options. So dont worry if you buy a 1500 rms amp, it'll be relatively close to the same current draw of the two 15s wired to 1 ohm on a 1000rms.
Alright thanks much for the help, it's much appreciated!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.