Dual battery wiring tutorial (and why)

for the POS+ runs....does it matter to go straight from the alt+ back to the back batts or go POS+ from front batt+ to rear batt+?
depends on the power you are running and the size of the battery bank in back.If it is a straight 2500-4000 watt system I would go through the front battery, if you are running 6000+ watts and have 3 or more batteries in back go off the alt

Ok, so let me get this strait. I am going to run two batts. One fuse in on each batt, got it. The batt will be like a distro block. 1/0 ga to 2 runs of 4 ga. I also need to fuse both runs of 4 ga wire? This is all in the cab of a pick up truck and my runs of 4 ga wire will be 3-5 feet max. Not much room to work with.

Just pay attention between the batterys on this pic. How you fuse your amps will be dependent on if they have fuses or need fuse holders. You are still going to want to fuse within 24" of the amps if they have no on board fusing.

where would an isolator be placed?between the in-line fusing?

Just pay attention between the batterys on this pic. How you fuse your amps will be dependent on if they have fuses or need fuse holders. You are still going to want to fuse within 24" of the amps if they have no on board fusing.

ground loop in the charging system back battery gets a weak charge
So I would have to run another (ground) wire up to the front bat then??

Iv had it grounded in the trunk for 6+ yrs.. The bat is a redtop(stock bat up front) never had any charging problems.. Well atleast not I know of. Amp is a mmats dhcx2200.1

The amp

All this info is great and has helped a lot. What do you experts think about the new 14V batteries ? I have a 502BB chevy and it could use move starting power along with my amps, was told you can use the 14V to run all the items in the car without harming them ? If it makes a difference I don't have a computer it's a old 1968. Thanks for your help.

Just checking.... Don't have to tell me 8 times! I always get it by the 7th.. :0/

So, If I have a new DS powerfull 675CA battery in the front, And I run 0-AWG Welding cable to the back Both (+)( -) Cables from the front battery, And I installed two Kenteik 2400s I would hurt the batterys? Beacuse I dont have a 2400 in the front? I can kinda see a point, I never listen to tunes without the Alt turning. Would that matter? Also after I install and when I start the car would it not twist my starter right off the engine?? :O)~

Thanks for any input..

Lilbear

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but it's better than starting a new thread...

I have an optima yellow top in my car right now and want to wire in a second battery in the trunk BUT does it have to be a yellow top or can I go with something like a XS power, shuriken or kinetic?

Also, will adding a second battery make the stock alternator work harder in charging the system or will everything run normally?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.