dual alt question

Participant count
  • Participant list

audioarsonal
10+ year member

JaMarcus
i have a jeep grand cherokee and i'd like to run a seperate alt for my stereo.anyone had any experince doing this?would i be better of using just one HO alt externally regulated with some sort of voltage reducer,or just fab up a braket and run a whole seperate alt???

Where would you really put it? I dont think theres much room for it, but I have a Cherokee so might be a different build, I wouldnt think there would be a big difference tho

generally its best to just run a single alt for simplicity sake.

however if you find your HO alt is still not enough, you may find you need another alternator. also its generally easiest to just run the alternators in parallel versus running each one for seperate duties on the car.

hallowpoint: you can find a place to mount an alternator just about anywhere in any car. for some reason people think you need to have the other alternator sitting next to the original. im sure if your crafty enough you can make a bracket that sits it next to the ac compressor, power steering pump, etc etc. just depends on good you are with your hands in making a bracket for the situation. im sure there are cars out that that just simply dont have the room to fit anything else under the hood, but most cars ive seen have it, just not right next to the original alt.

generally its best to just run a single alt for simplicity sake.
however if you find your HO alt is still not enough, you may find you need another alternator. also its generally easiest to just run the alternators in parallel versus running each one for seperate duties on the car.

hallowpoint: you can find a place to mount an alternator just about anywhere in any car. for some reason people think you need to have the other alternator sitting next to the original. im sure if your crafty enough you can make a bracket that sits it next to the ac compressor, power steering pump, etc etc. just depends on good you are with your hands in making a bracket for the situation. im sure there are cars out that that just simply dont have the room to fit anything else under the hood, but most cars ive seen have it, just not right next to the original alt.
yeahhh, I was wondering and just went and looked. I see a couple places it could be mounted but I wouldnt do it, Id rather have a single one

What about running another one (BIG BASTARD) with an external regulator and running it like 16V? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Then you could have a daily driver with 16V to your amps! Yeeehawww!

yeahhh, I was wondering and just went and looked. I see a couple places it could be mounted but I wouldnt do it, Id rather have a single one
not to mention not everyone has a means of getting/making a bracket to add another alt.

check out ohiogen.com they can probably help you out alot. I have dual alts in my truck and they just might have a similar setup for you. I have a picture of it in the photo gallery check it out.

What about running another one (BIG BASTARD) with an external regulator and running it like 16V? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Then you could have a daily driver with 16V to your amps! Yeeehawww!
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

if you want a "separate" alt for the system, u might as well //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif
if you want a "separate" alt for the system, u might as well //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
i hope you got amps that can take a 16v+ input

i have a inline 6 so there is enough room.and the 16v externally regulated with a sepertate alt for just the vehicle at 12v is kinda what im looking at.i seen a guy with a durango that had this similar setup but had to make a braket.i guess i''l have to get crafty and come up with something.thanks guys.

i have a inline 6 so there is enough room.and the 16v externally regulated with a sepertate alt for just the vehicle at 12v is kinda what im looking at.i seen a guy with a durango that had this similar setup but had to make a braket.i guess i''l have to get crafty and come up with something.thanks guys.
kool... if you do something neat, take pics //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/yumyum.gif.0556df42231b304b9c995aefd13928a8.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.