dual 1ohm subs wire to .5 ohm or 2ohm

BoomTaco64

CarAudio.com Elite
gone...
if i have two dual 1ohm subs would it be better to wire each sub to .5 ohm or 2ohm for each amp. please give pros and cons from each scenario. i am just trying to understand why so many are wired to .5 ohm and not 2ohm. i also understand its a power thing but besides that....say each amp is 1500w at either .5 ohm or 2ohm. what is best?

if i have two dual 1ohm subs would it be better to wire each sub to .5 ohm or 2ohm for each amp. please give pros and cons from each scenario. i am just trying to understand why so many are wired to .5 ohm and not 2ohm. i also understand its a power thing but besides that....say each amp is 1500w at either .5 ohm or 2ohm. what is best?
Well if u have 2 dual1 subs u cant wire to .5 or 2 ...u can wire to .25 or 1 ohm

Well if u have 2 dual1 subs u cant wire to .5 or 2 ...u can wire to .25 or 1 ohm

If you completely read what he said then it can be done. He said each sub is wired to each amp. If the amp produces the same power at 0.5 or 2ohm, then I would wire each sub to 2 ohms.

What amps are you using ?

My 2 cents. And it really is 2 cents, as I am not an SPL guy. The 'experts' here will have more to say on this, no doubt.

There is no 'best' answer to your general question. Usually you are trying to match the load to what the amp is optimally designed for and rated for - it is rare that an amp will put exactly same power into a 2 ohm load and a .5 ohm load, so your question as sort of moot.

Most amps will put more power into a lower impedance load, so as long as the amp is rated for it, many choose to use the lower impedance wiring configuration because they think more power = louder (and in many cases it is). There really isn't a point to having this discussion under your general assumptions. Ask the question again with a specific sub model and a specific amp model and you will get answers that matter. And the answers will change for different amp/sub combos. Thinking there is a 'correct' general answer to your question is dangerous and is why you see so many 'my amp is going into protect mode' or 'my subs are cutting out' questions on this forum.

The question of low impedance loads in very high power SPL set ups is how best to get the most power into the speaker's VC(s) (and hopefully into resulting SPL). This is a design tradeoff. At a given supply voltage, the amp theoretically can get more current into a lower impedance load. Since Power=V*I, that means more power. BUT, there is a limit, at very high currents, the internal series resistance of the amp's power components can cause excessive heating, so the amp must have good heat sinks and may need extra fans.

There are considerations on the VC side as well. You may find some dual VC subs that operate more efficiently (in terms of SPL per watt) in parallel versus series - or vice versa.

If you completely read what he said then it can be done. He said each sub is wired to each amp. If the amp produces the same power at 0.5 or 2ohm, then I would wire each sub to 2 ohms.
What amps are you using ?
Given the OPs stated assumptions I agree with this answer. ^^^

i have two of the alpine mrp-m2k amps. i am looking to run them to the hdc415-d1 subs at 2ohm. i was just curious of whether running each sub at 2ohms will be better than getting two different amps and running them at .5 ohm. i am really just wondering if there will be a sound difference or if there will be any gains/losses by doing so...i figured running them at 2ohm will be a little less current and easier on my electrical system. i did not want to get into an amp pissing match that is why i gave the analogy of the .5 ohm and 2 ohm at the same power. i know my amps are not .5ohm stable(not even 1ohm) so i did not say what ones cause i did not need to hear "they can not do that" from everyone. i guess i was wondering if anyone knew whether wiring at .5 or 2 would be better or worse? is there any advantages or wiring in either way?

i have two of the alpine mrp-m2k amps. i am looking to run them to the hdc415-d1 subs at 2ohm. i was just curious of whether running each sub at 2ohms will be better than getting two different amps and running them at .5 ohm. i am really just wondering if there will be a sound difference or if there will be any gains/losses by doing so...i figured running them at 2ohm will be a little less current and easier on my electrical system. i did not want to get into an amp pissing match that is why i gave the analogy of the .5 ohm and 2 ohm at the same power. i know my amps are not .5ohm stable(not even 1ohm) so i did not say what ones cause i did not need to hear "they can not do that" from everyone. i guess i was wondering if anyone knew whether wiring at .5 or 2 would be better or worse? is there any advantages or wiring in either way?
to be honest theres nothing wrong with running those amps at 2 ohms each.but if it were me and u had the electrcial to back it up id sell them both and get somethin that does around 6k @1 ohm ...the alpines will merely be tickling the hdc4s

Agreed^^^^ what kind of electrical you got op?
H.O. 270a alternator and 4 kinetik HC2400 in the rear with a optima red top running the car under hood...more than enough power and reserve. big3 twice with 1/0 and dual 1/0 from front to rear bank and dual 1/0 to amps.

H.O. 270a alternator and 4 kinetik HC2400 in the rear with a optima red top running the car under hood...more than enough power and reserve. big3 twice with 1/0 and dual 1/0 from front to rear bank and dual 1/0 to amps.
Then sell those alpines and get 6-7k @1 ohm.problem solved....i run 2 hdc4s btw

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.