Downsizing subwoofers (2x12 to either 1x12 or 1x10)

mastershake575

CarAudio.com Veteran
Dallas
Currently I have 2005 civic with singer 275A alternator, XS D3400 battery and big 3.

I am running two 12 inch subs in a custom box thats around 5 cubic feet. The subs are basically sundown SA knockoffs (2.5 inch coil, 800RMS, big magnet). Amplifier is American Bass VFL 150.1 that at have at 2ohms (rated about 1700 watts at 2 ohm).

http://i.imgur.com/p2A0kaK.jpg

I want something that sounds better musically and I also plan on getting a different car next year so I would like something that isn't as big space wise.

I am curious on what my options would be both size and brand wise. Few question I have.

1. My amplifier is currently at 2ohms which gives about 1700 watts RMS. With this new system would I be better off staying at 2ohms or moving to 1ohm 2900RMS and just going easier on the gain ? What are the pros and cons of each choice.

2. If I went to a single 10 or single 12 I would of course have alot less cone area/smaller box then dual 12s. Would buying a higher quality woofer be able to negate the output difference or would the output difference still be pretty high ? (if it would be high, would I just do dual 10s or dual 8s ?).

3. Recommendations for a daily driver ? (sub, box size, and tuning).

Every car i've demo'd that has upgraded alternators has had huge boxes/lots of subs which makes sense (kinda strange to buy $900 in electrical upgrades and then just only throw a daily driver 10 inch in there). Only reason I originally bought the alternator is because the Honda alternator was only 60 amps and it had a computer regulator that intentionally kept the voltage low to save gas mileage.

I have no experience in high output single sub setups so any help is appreciated !

nice looking box... some guys will probably tell u ab amps don't normally do rated power (ph4000 just got tested) so see if they know what power it really has and pick sub based on that.. how much $ u wanta spend on a 12 (no 10)?
The box I got built by an experienced builder about an hour from where I live (i'm going to let him build the next box as well).
The AB amps that are sold online are cheap Chinese amps that won't do rated power (the Phantom, HD, and VFL Hybrid). The regular VFL series which is what I have are Korean and they do just slightly over rated when clamped. AB is a weird company, they have mediocre products that they push for online sales and solid products that they push for there local dealers

I'm don't really have a max price range to be honest, as long as it's not super crazy. Leaning towards subs that use USA voicecoils and are constructed here (brands like incriminator, Fi, Ascendant, SSA).

I’m a fan of powerful single sub setups.

If you want to upgrade, now is the time.

Drop that amp down to 1 ohm. Put a nice group 31 in the back. Get a zcon and tune low-ish

If you want loud but musical, I have personal experience with the AA Mayhem / SSA Zcon. One of my favorite subs to this day.

I’m a fan of powerful single sub setups.

Drop that amp down to 1 ohm. Put a nice group 31 in the back. Get a zcon and tune low-ish

If you want loud but musical, I have personal experience with the AA Mayhem / SSA Zcon. One of my favorite subs to this day.
Second.

i'd say get a mayhem or SSA Zcon 12. Makes 3 votes for those subs. However the build time is a b*tch holiday seasons. so expect to get it feb - april.
This is also very true

If you ordered today, I’d be thoroughly surprised if you get it before Christmas.

1-3 month build times are expected.

But anything’s possibly

I’ve gotten stuff 3 weeks from the order date sooo who really knows

I’ I'm a fan of powerful single sub setups.

Then you'll love what I got going for next yr. in my s10. nine.5 amp powering single 8 in tline and Polk Audio comps up front.

This is also very true
If you ordered today, I’d be thoroughly surprised if you get it before Christmas.

1-3 month build times are expected.

But anything’s possibly

I’ve gotten stuff 3 weeks from the order date sooo who really knows
Call and ask them. You never know.

I thought those Nemisis woofer were Spose to be nice for the money.

VFL amps do rated but you won’t see 1700@2ohm, next woofer(s) wire down to 1ohm

I’d either get two SA 12s or 1 xsv2 12”-15” woofer

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.