Downfiring a sub in a Toyota 4Runner?

99ways2die
10+ year member

NJ
Hey,

Can I bug you all for a sub option in a 2005 4Runner??

The wife drives a 4runner, which will have a Kenwood HU (most likely, she likes teh USB). Rainbow SLCs for speaks (already in). I have 2 JL amps for her (300/4 and 500/1). I want to keep everything as hidden as possible, and the 4runner doesn't have much "useless space" to begin with; this is one of the reasons for JL amps (SQ + small form factor).

Anyway......regardless of which sub I get (or maybe that's even more important) my Q is this:

Would it be a good idea to downfire a sub in the back of the 4runner, in a "shelf-like" enclosure??

I have only a fandfull of choices: either a stealth box, single/dual 10s in a box, single 12 in a box. Now, I woudl REALLY like to keep the sub out of view, at all cost. THis is why I thought about a box which would look like a shelf, but fire down with the sub invisible.

Can you guys share some ideas?

Thanks.

PS:

Sub(s) in consideration: JL 10w6v2 or JL 12w6v2

For this vehicle (and the 500/1 amp) which would you guys recommend:

1. single 10"

2. singe 12"

3. dual 10"

Wife like's techno, dance and easy, but was raised on heavy metal and likes to pound rock and metal inbetween (when I hear Slayer outside I know she got pissed off at work again-lol)

Thanks again

Can someone with a 4runner, or any SUV, chime in and share their opinion on a good combo for a small box accomodating a 10 or 12" with "good" sound?

Sorry for these silly Qs (for many of you) but I need to make the box easily removable and I'd like to avoid experimenting as much as possible. We go camping/fishing/beach/etc quite a bit, and the reason for downfiring is mainly protection for the sub(s).

Anyone else with experience?

thanks again

PS:

Sice JLs like to be loaded at 4ohm, what would be a good setup in two 10's ?

Can someone with a 4runner, or any SUV, chime in and share their opinion on a good combo for a small box accomodating a 10 or 12" with "good" sound?
Sorry for these silly Qs (for many of you) but I need to make the box easily removable and I'd like to avoid experimenting as much as possible. We go camping/fishing/beach/etc quite a bit, and the reason for downfiring is mainly protection for the sub(s).

Anyone else with experience?

thanks again

PS:

Sice JLs like to be loaded at 4ohm, what would be a good setup in two 10's ?
If you are looking for good SQ with decent output, i think a pair of 10's sealed firing towards the rear hatch works great. I had two cheap pioneer 10's sealed in 1 cube each in my jeep, sounded great

IMO firing towards the rear is the best for a SUV.

Rear firing tends to give you the most output in an SUV (but no not always). Wave reinforcement comes into play at certain key frequencies when you bounce the sound waves off the tailgate, making it audibly louder. This generally not a good recipe for a flatter and more natural frequency response however. For an SUV I generally consider it: SQ - fire up or forward, SQL - fire rearward, SPL - wall (//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif). For stealth/theft deterance, just build a cover over the rear cargo area, then buy Boss Audio and Pyramid stickers for your windows. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Hey,Can I bug you all for a sub option in a 2005 4Runner??

The wife drives a 4runner, which will have a Kenwood HU (most likely, she likes teh USB). Rainbow SLCs for speaks (already in). I have 2 JL amps for her (300/4 and 500/1). I want to keep everything as hidden as possible, and the 4runner doesn't have much "useless space" to begin with; this is one of the reasons for JL amps (SQ + small form factor).

Anyway......regardless of which sub I get (or maybe that's even more important) my Q is this:

Would it be a good idea to downfire a sub in the back of the 4runner, in a "shelf-like" enclosure??

I have only a fandfull of choices: either a stealth box, single/dual 10s in a box, single 12 in a box. Now, I woudl REALLY like to keep the sub out of view, at all cost. THis is why I thought about a box which would look like a shelf, but fire down with the sub invisible.

Can you guys share some ideas?

Thanks.

PS:

Sub(s) in consideration: JL 10w6v2 or JL 12w6v2

hit up my boi trigger2008 he has a colorado with a pair of L7's downfiring and he loves it and its loud, he can further any of your questions

ed0aebc7.jpg

^^^borrowed from my T4R forums.

Some people go that route (look up) with either custom fabrications, or JL's stealhboxes. This may be fine for most but I'd like to be able to use the 500/1 to it's potential plus I'd like to take advanctage of a "real" 10" (at least) sub, instead of a low rated/sounding 8...no matter who made it.

I can't see how even a stealthbox (even if stretched a bit) can accomodate and provide enough room for a decent 10", even if only one.

.....so, this is where I'm stuck with a "regular type" box/enclosure.

Can a good 10" sub "work properly" in a "squize box" (long(er) but flatter)?

Sort of like a stealth box?

The 4runner has a stock amp + plastic box with an 8" behind the panel (behind that enclosure you see in above pix). What if I remove the panel completely, then use the interrior space to make even bigger stealthbox?

Here's something I can't do, b/c of reasons stated in opriginal post:

attachment.php

(sorry for linking-wouldn't show otherwise; remove if not allowed - thnx)

down fireing is fine, we do it a lot in most customer suv's., where they dont want teh woofer to be seen and/or damaged with cargo.

they sound awsome, and can still slam.

rgr.

...plus, stealthbox is an option, but somehow i can't imagine myself getting rid of the 500/1 and getting an 8" sub with a 250 (or similar) amp, just to make it "right."

I'd like to utilize the equipment that I have, not compromise.

With that in mind let me ask another Q:

..since the stealthbox can only take an 8 or a flat 10 at best, would it be a good idea to open up the side panel on the 4runner and basically making the stealthbox deeper (for a better 10")?

To help visualize this, imagine a shoebox (or bigger) stuck behind the stealthbox, extending into the ide of the car, against the body/shell. I hope I'm making this clear.

I'd imagine that this way I could run a single 10 or 12, with enough room for it to breathe.

It doesn't make sense to buy the stealthbox then hack it up, obviously, so I'd be willing to f.glass myself and do it right.

Your thoughts?

Then again, it's so much easier to just stick a box in the back with a 12 or 10s and call it a day. In which case - am I better off with two 10s, or a single 12?

thank you guys...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.