door seals

Participant count
  • Participant list
I don't think door seals will act as a sound barrier...

Just get whatever door seals your car needs, and then invest in some mass loaded vinyl

yeah im saving for that as its my next step. but i get wind noise through the door jams, but maybe new seals will fix that anyways. i once found a foam store online that had good deals on foam and sound proofing materials lets see if i can find it.

i found some closed cell neoprene rubber that ive been thinking of using for my home studio that i can get in any size. (3/4 thick 80x48 for 64$) whats the difference between that and the mass loaded vinyl?

i found some closed cell neoprene rubber that ive been thinking of using for my home studio that i can get in any size. (3/4 thick 80x48 for 64$) whats the difference between that and the mass loaded vinyl?
Foams are for isolating, gasketing, sealing and a little absorption. Barriers like lead or mass loaded vinyl are extremely dense and block sound. Barriers wouldn't be much help around the door seals. Door seals are so precisely fitted that anything other than stock will probably make things worse. Replacing shot seals can make a very big difference.

Door seals are so precisely fitted that anything other than stock will probably make things worse. Replacing shot seals can make a very big difference.
thanks for that info. but with a aviator named sound deadener show down, whats your propose on these forums?

im suggesting adding a 3/4 thick piece on the very inside of the outside piece of metal door, then 1/8 piece on the outer door between the panel and door, which should give more room for excursion of the mids

thanks for that info. but with a aviator named sound deadener show down, whats your propose on these forums?
Would this make more sense if it said "door seal showdown"? I own a sound deadening company and my purpose here is to discuss topics related to vehicle acoustics.

im suggesting adding a 3/4 thick piece on the very inside of the outside piece of metal door, then 1/8 piece on the outer door between the panel and door, which should give more room for excursion of the mids
My point is that in addition to keeping water out, the door seals are an important part of the vehicle's aerodynamics. Anything that interferes with that function is going to make your problem worse. Deteriorated seals are always a problem. Anything that creates additional turbulence or compromises the seal is going to make the problem worse. Anything you do inside the seals probably won't hurt, but anything that impacts the airflow over the doors probably will.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.