Door Pod Progress - lots of pictures

ShakinSupra
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I've finally got the bondo and paint done on my door pods for my Kappa components. The speakers aren't hooked up yet, I need to get some screws tomorrow before I can get the other door together, but here are a few of the install pics so far:

The mold for the back side of the enclosure, molded to the door.

No1.jpg

The back pieces.

No2.jpg

The mold for the front pieces with one layer of fiberglass.

No3.jpg

After bondo and paint.

No4.jpg

Attached to the door.

No5.jpg

In the door.

No6.jpg

With the door shut.

No7.jpg

It was a whole lot of work, I really like how it turned out, although people may kick them getting in and out of my car... And I now really have the heaviest doors ever, as if Supra doors aren't heavy enough stock, that's something I didn't consider before I started.

Sweet job! I've got zero experience glassing, but I'm familiar with the process. I can't figure out what you based those mdf rings on... the molds of the bottom?

Looks nice //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I like it.

- Steve

Excellent job.. I wanna learn how to fiberglass //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/coolflash.gif.4f9740e1268764cfe452b9259e375e3b.gif

Thanks, originally there was a pocket that ran along the bottom of the door that I never put anything into, and that is the base for the front piece, I just covered up the pocket. The MDF ring is based on that. Here is a pic of a stock Supra door (not mine) so you can see what it was replacing.

stockdoor.jpg

Now I just need some better components...

I’m jealous of your skill. Those look great. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

well man, i considered doing that too, but i didnt have a pocket like you. looks real pro tho. im doing kicks as we speak, we will have to see how mine come out eh? ill throw up some pictures tonite or tomrrow =) ... watch out for my thread!

but how did you go about making the dome structure where that pocket was... i know you made some kind of 'flat panel' out of wood that fits into the bottom layer sung, then made your baffle in the right position, and fleece'd it, but on the side closest to the rear, its got a nice rounded shape to it... what did you do to get that shape over there? did you just build it up with bondo and shape it to the contour of the rest of the panel? its quite the nice square shape with rounded corners.

looks fantatsic imo. good job =D

give us finished pics of the whole interior! too bad your armrest is so scuffed away =(

It took a little longer than I expected, but I finally got my door pods all in and everything put back together. My speakers sound SO much better than when they were just mounted in the door panel. I wasn't sure how Kappas would sound in an sealed enclosure but I made a gasket and sealed them up anyways and it turned out great, much better midbass, I went from +3db bass on my HU to flat. I have some Kicker RMB8 8" midbass speakers I was going to put in the rear somewhere, but I don't really know if I need them anymore.. I've got 75w x 2 I'm not using though..

Here's some more pics of the install, always in progress:

The car it's going into, an 86.5 Toyota Supra

sup_frontview.jpg

Driver's side door closed. Yeah, I really need to fix my center console cover.

Done6.jpg

Driver's side door

Done2.jpg

Passenger's side door

Done3.jpg

Hatch

Done4.jpg

Head Unit - Nakamichi CD-45z

Done5.jpg

As for how I got the shape around the speaker, there was a stock piece that formed the pocket that ran all along the bottom of my door, I used that as the mold for the front piece of the enclosure, and mounted the MDF ring on that. That's the shape that was formed by stretching cloth over it (I used a t-shirt). I had some wrinkles on the end, but I just ground them down and filled in the holes with bondo.

I painted them first with a bunch of layers of black primer, sanded them to 400 grit, and painted them with some indoor/outdoor semi-flat black spraypaint. Tons of sanding and bondo beforehand though.

ur car looks good....the stereo is good, paint looks good but u def need to do sumtin to the interiour..more then just the console...or maybe u just need to armour all it and clean it up a bit.(the int - the console).idk good nights

hey man that looks great now i wanna go out and make some of my own. but ive never built anythinl like that wih fiberglass. ive donr like bottoms for boxes fitted to a car. can you give a play by play on how you went about doin that. thanx!

Actually my interior is pretty clean, it just looks bad in the pictures, and my paints not that great, it just looks good in the picture.. It's pretty clean for being 18yo though. Really all I need for my interior is a new console cover and new carpet, my carpet looks like ****, cause my clutch master cylinder and heater core both exploded within a few weeks of each other and completely ruined it. I do need to armor all though.

I'll update my first post with some more info on how it was done soon.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.