Does your electrical see impedance rise

Participant count
  • Participant list

Based

CarAudio.com Elite
Louisiana
Ok so say your amp does 1500@1ohm and 1000@2ohm. And for example, impedance rise puts it at 2 ohms at 40hz and you are at 14v DC when playing that frequency. Does that mean your wire/alternator only sees 1000w/14v = 71.4 amps? Or does it always see nominal?

Yes you are correct

If you rise to 8ohms you will be making very little power but that means your electrical will be at 14.x volts and getting the most it can give

Yes you are correctIf you rise to 8ohms you will be making very little power but that means your electrical will be at 14.x volts and getting the most it can give
Ok yeah that's what I thought.

So really for a CAB 1600 I just need 4 gauge wire not 1/0. 1600/14.4 is 111 and 1600/12.6 is 126.9 amps. I'm gonna rise to about 2 or maybe 3 ohms so I'll only be making like 1000-1200 watts on most frequencies so that's only around 90-100 amps.

Don't undersize your wire

Just because you have 2x rise at one frequency you could have very little rise at another frequency

If you don't have the wire yet get 1/0 it's not that much more and there are benefits

You are also not factoring in efficiencyDivide your numbers by .8 best case and you quickly get up to 140 amps
Ah ok yeah I forgot about that. Well I already have about 20 feet of sky high 1/0 from my last build. I will use that then. My wire is only about 10 feet long. My car is small.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.