Does the foil matter?

What product is it exactly? Ice Shield?

Yes the foil matters.

Roofing products are for roofs, not your car. It's generally a bad idea to put them in your car for use as "deadener" for many reasons.

my over all assumption was it was free and deadener works by adding mass to the panel so the butyl would add mass. it had like a thick plastic in place of foil.

my over all assumption was it was free and deadener works by adding mass to the panel so the butyl would add mass. it had like a thick plastic in place of foil.
Deadener works by converting vibration to heat via a viscoelastic medium such as butyl rubber. Since you cannot add anything to a surface and NOT add some type of weight, then yes...you are adding mass. But more massive "deadener" isn't more "deadening" than it's lighter counterpart(s). Deadening has mass loading effects, but mass loading does not = deadening.

So the answer to your question is: it depends.

Did you get a mystery roll of the stuff and not know the name of it? How do you know it's in fact butyl?

Deadener works by converting vibration to heat via a viscoelastic medium such as butyl rubber. Since you cannot add anything to a surface and NOT add some type of weight, then yes...you are adding mass. But more massive "deadener" isn't more "deadening" than it's lighter counterpart(s). Deadening has mass loading effects, but mass loading does not = deadening.

Did you get a mystery roll of the stuff and not know the name of it? How do you know it's in fact butyl?
Yea mystery roll.

i know its butyl because it says self adhesive butyl on it. the plastic is brown. any one might know what this is.

Some people use Seal and Peal and get results from it?

Pics of said mystery roll?

roofing stuff has bad cancer causing products in it and should not be used in a vehicle.... needs to be well ventilated (gives off toxic vapors)...... im a roofer by the way

The foil absolutely matters - the thicker the better. Rubbery deadeners depend on stresses between the adhesive and the constraining layer (foil). Extensional dampers - liquids, etc. are much stiffer and use a completely different damping mechanism.

Products like the one you are describing (butyl with a plastic or Mylar facing) provide almost no damping at all. You may be able to get good results if you can find a rigid and thin adhesive and glue some heavy foil on top of it but that depends entirely on the composition of the butyl layer. Roofing products are designed to be weather proof. The facing is meant to protect the butyl. If they damp vibrations, it is just a coincidence.

Adding mass is not an effective way to deal with vibration in this context. All it does is lower the resonant frequency of the panel. To lower it enough to be inaudible, you will have to add more weight than is practical. You are just as likely to lower the RF into a more troublesome range as you are to improve things.

The results that people who use Peel & Seal and similar materials get are a slight stiffening of the panel and isolation of adjacent panels from each other - a result that can best be described as: slightly better than nothing. Then it falls off or melts.

I would only use that stuff for horizontal stuff like the trunk floor. The foil backed sticks much better and has been on my car for 3+ years now and does a fine job of deadening if you put enough on.

Adding mass with Protecto-seal has worked well in my car as road noise is much quieter and I have NO rattles/vibrations to speak of in a car that meters close to 150...

roofing stuff has bad cancer causing products in it and should not be used in a vehicle.... needs to be well ventilated (gives off toxic vapors)...... im a roofer by the way

Your statement is ridiculous. My family owns a LARGE roofing company and we have been in business since 1931. Look at the MSDS sheet that came with your rolled roofing and it will have all the info on that. Depending on what the adhesive is you may get some asphalt smell but I doubt that. I do agree though it may not hold up on a verticle wall in high heat. In situations like that on roofing you use nail pins and or term bar to secure rolled roofing up the wall.. This will not be possible in your vehicle. Here is firestone roofing products quick seem tape MSDS. This tape is a butyl tape. Here you can read and see its not going to give you cancer.

http://www.firestonebpco.com/templateFiles/includes/common/displayFile.ashx?fileId=2149

Peace

Sounds like eDead minus the eD logo.

But seriously, with the mylar 'constraining layer' eDead uses, Ive often wondered if it isn't simply some roofing mat'l they buy and slap their 'deadener' logo on. As said above, the mylar layer isn't good for much of anything except weatherproofing.

But seriously, with the mylar 'constraining layer' eDead uses, Ive often wondered if it isn't simply some roofing mat'l they buy and slap their 'deadener' logo on. As said above, the mylar layer isn't good for much of anything except weatherproofing.
By what he's said, it's probably way better than eDead. The original V1 or whatever was PnS-thin rubberized asphalt, a thin plastic layer and then the cheap mylar top. So the "constraining layer" was unconstrained by plastic. Perfect for reducing shear in a substrate...unconstrined plastic. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Your statement is ridiculous. My family owns a LARGE roofing company and we have been in business since 1931. Look at the MSDS sheet that came with your rolled roofing and it will have all the info on that. Depending on what the adhesive is you may get some asphalt smell but I doubt that. I do agree though it may not hold up on a verticle wall in high heat. In situations like that on roofing you use nail pins and or term bar to secure rolled roofing up the wall.. This will not be possible in your vehicle. Here is firestone roofing products quick seem tape MSDS. This tape is a butyl tape. Here you can read and see its not going to give you cancer.
http://www.firestonebpco.com/templateFiles/includes/common/displayFile.ashx?fileId=2149

Peace
Butyl won't hurt you unless you choke on it. Asphalt in an enclosed space is iffy and still being debated.

As far as I can tell, anything on a roll came from a roofing materials manufacturer. It doesn't mean that the adhesive formula might not have been tweaked for sound deadening, but putting aluminum colored Mylar or any plastic on a material that needs constraining to function is like painting a rock gold and then trying to melt it down to make jewelery. Asphalt with or without foil is flashing. Butyl without foil is flashing. Wonder no more //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.