Does size matter????

Participant count
  • Participant list

Deamonicus
10+ year member

Johhny Bravo
Hahahaha not what you are thinking. I'm talking about magnet size. I had an inexpensive set of Cadence component speakers in my doors. Well I didn't like the way they sounded so I bought a pair of Polk DB 6750 components. When I got the Polks they looked pretty good. Well the Cadence has a magnet about 3x the size of the polk. Also the cone on the mid looks to be bigger. I ended up hooking up the drivers side with the polk and the passenger side has the cadence. Maybe it's because it's a new speaker but the polk seems to sound better. A little more base and cleaner. Anybody have experience with either brand?

Magnet size doesnt matter, XMAX, Wattage, and quality, Volfenhag have huge magnets on there woofers, but id tak e a cerwin vega stroker any dya ove rionew, even tho the magnet smaller, the cerwin will prolly me 20 times louder.

It's true a woofer can only do so much with an amount of magnetic force. It's true that a bigger magnet can make more force to drive a woofer. It's NOT true that a speaker with a 2lb magnet is immediately better than one with a 1lb magnet.

Like imaspaceguy90 said, companies like Volfenhag, Audiopipe, Audiobahn, Pyramid, etc will intentionally add more magnet than the driver needs. That magnet doesn't do anything- it's just wasted material.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.