Does pre-out voltage make a huge difference?

Intercooler
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Maryland
I was talking to a guyat the audio shop that does SPL competitions and has a few trophies to his credit and he said the pre-out voltage on a head unit makes a HUGE difference in overall power. He talked about it like it was steroids or something //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Is this a true statement? I am still learning so I just take it all in and be quite. What head unit holds the title for most pre-out? What Pioneer and Kenwood units has the most pre-outs?

BTW... He said Kenwood HU's are the best for SPL //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif

So you can go louder then.

They also talked a decent amount about the Eclipse line and I think on of those had the highest pre-out from what I overheard. I don't know much about Eclipse but are they good?

no, you can't get louder because on a 8v preout HU, if you barely turn up the gain and immediately you might send a clipped signal. thats what happened when i was setting the gains on my sub amp, my HU clipped at 77/80, went to amp to turn up the gain, it almost clipped as i just turned the gain knob. it just enables your amp to not work as hard.

and yes eclipse basically has the highest preouts, 8v. Eclipse are awesome HUs.

This guy had a Kenwood with 5V's. I think my Pioneer is only 2V so am I leaving something on the table by not have 5V + or is it something I won't really see or hear?

goin from 4v (panasonic) to 5v (kenwood) i heard a HUGE difference.... had to turn my gains down a lot after hookin up the new HU.

i had 2v preouts but then i got an EQ that up them to 7v i liked it. btw the Eq is for sale //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

i had 2v preouts but then i got an EQ that up them to 7v i liked it. btw the Eq is for sale //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
ygpm

sorry for the thread jack //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/blush.gif.99bc659ee2012b7d826165e26fb5eebe.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.