Does only the front baffle need to be double layered?

RSDXzec
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Australia
Looking at building a box for an XFL 15. The thickest MDF I can get cut at the shop is 1/2". I'd like to know if I can get away with having most of the box single layer and just double layer the baffle or if it's 100% necessary to put double layer all the way around.

Currently looking at 4 cubes tuned to 32hz with 64 sq inches of port.

Cheers.

you need 3/4 inch mdf
can't get that at a decent size anywhere

best I could get is a 16mm sheet but at like 2400x1200mm and I can't fit that in my car.

hence the need to go with 1/2" because they can actually cut it at the shop for me.

can't get that at a decent size anywhere
best I could get is a 16mm sheet but at like 2400x1200mm and I can't fit that in my car.

hence the need to go with 1/2" because they can actually cut it at the shop for me.
I don't know what's available in Australia, but you may have to go with 3/4 baltic birch or arauco (although I really doubt arauco is available there)

16mm would be the same as 11/16, which is what cheap prefab boxes use... or you could double layer the 1/2 inch all around.

I don't know what's available in Australia, but you may have to go with 3/4 baltic birch or arauco (although I really doubt arauco is available there)
16mm would be the same as 11/16, which is what cheap prefab boxes use... or you could double layer the 1/2 inch all around.
I know I can get birch but not at 3/4... I guess double 1/2 all around is what I'll have to do...

Is there anything you can get at 3/4? And if the birch is 16mm (11/16) it would probably be fine
just went to the store to have a look.

The thickest I can get cut there is 12mm

What I have available is:

MDF in 12mm and 16mm

Birch in 12/15/17/19/21mm

The birch costs about double the price of the MDF and all those come in 2400x1200 (almost 4ft by 8ft) sheet so I have no idea how I'd get anything in my car.

Last edited by a moderator:
just went to the store to have a look.The thickest I can get cut there is 12mm

What I have available is:

MDF in 12mm and 16mm

Birch in 12/15/17/19/21mm

The birch costs about double the price of the MDF and all those come in 2400x1200 (almost 4ft by 8ft) sheet so I have no idea how I'd get anything in my car.
19mm birch is equivalent to 3/4 inch.. Personally I would go with that, but the thicker MDF would probably get the job done just fine as well.

Most lumber yards and stores that sell wood should be willing to cut that sheet down for you. Since I've gotten rid of my truck I've had to do the same thing. Just figure out what sized pieces are manageable (to get in your car) and useable (to build your box), and ask for the sheet to be cut accordingly. Use the 19mm birch like T 2 said, and I'd also pick up a 1" (25.4mm) dowel rod to use for any internal bracing.

rent a truck for a hour shouldn't be more than 15-20 bucks. used to work at uhaul and you could rent for 20 bucks for the day and just replace the fuel u use. Id rather spend that 20 bucks and have a nice box than one i have to worry about.

19mm birch is equivalent to 3/4 inch.. Personally I would go with that, but the thicker MDF would probably get the job done just fine as well.
sweet 19mm birch all around it is

Most lumber yards and stores that sell wood should be willing to cut that sheet down for you. Since I've gotten rid of my truck I've had to do the same thing. Just figure out what sized pieces are manageable (to get in your car) and useable (to build your box), and ask for the sheet to be cut accordingly. Use the 19mm birch like T 2 said, and I'd also pick up a 1" (25.4mm) dowel rod to use for any internal bracing.
only up to 12mm thick though according to regulations or some ****... got them to cut 16mm once but every time i ask them now they say their limit is 12mm.

rent a truck for a hour shouldn't be more than 15-20 bucks. used to work at uhaul and you could rent for 20 bucks for the day and just replace the fuel u use. Id rather spend that 20 bucks and have a nice box than one i have to worry about.
Found a mate who says he's got a trailer I can borrow when I need to get the wood so that's pretty much sorted.

Cheers.

For my previous box, I settled for the pre-cut pieces of 3/4" MDF. It was about $7 more than a full sheet (4'x8'). The store employee mentioned their vertical table saw wasn't accurate if I wanted to have them cut. I really believe he was being lazy and didn't want to cut it.

I would do half inch mdf double layer all around tripple on baffle.
And if this is the choice you make, be sure to glue very well. Use a generous amount and spread it out before you put the sheets together.

I would also be sure to use some bracing as well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.