Does it mean CERTAIN DEATH if my subs were clipping?

Participant count
  • Participant list

04prixgt04
10+ year member

ATX
I opened my trunk to adjust my gain and my subs were clipping. I turned down the gain and they seam fine (no scratching when I push in and the read the right ohm when I checkedhem with the votlameter) but they sound a bit distorted. What are the chances there fried? I have never had a blown sub before so I don't know what else to look for othere then the ohm check and noise check I found on here by searching.

well.... if they ohm check good... their most likely not blown... thats the number one check to use for a blown coil... but just FYI, if you can hear the clipping... then your gain is WWWAAAAYYYY tooo high... clipping starts on a sub way before the human ear can pick it up

I'm sure i clip mine at times because i will literally smell the coil....but last time i took out the sub the coil was still super shiny and not burnt. Its been like this for over 2 years now.

I'm sure i clip mine at times because i will literally smell the coil....but last time i took out the sub the coil was still super shiny and not burnt. Its been like this for over 2 years now.
playin with death, smelling the coil over and over, lol

not unless you pull the subs apart for a recone.... but the smell they make when they get really hot is very distinctive.

what do you mean when you say they were "clipping" ... just want to make sure we're on the same page... clipping is different from distortion

not unless you pull the subs apart for a recone.... but the smell they make when they get really hot is very distinctive.
what do you mean when you say they were "clipping" ... just want to make sure we're on the same page... clipping is different from distortion
Most subs have some sort of cooling where you can see you don't need to recone lol

yea, you can see part of the coil... but i mean to actually inspect the coil
Most off-the-shelf baskets you can just push up on the cone and get a pretty good look at most of the coil through the vents.

Dunno what OP means by clipping, but odds are if your coil isn't rubbing and it measuers good DCR it's fine, only other thing that could happen if he means bottoming out the subs is torn/separated spider which would probably sound obnoxious even to a layman.

Also, can a amp still hit but be fucked up. In other words, my amp is putting out 1000 rms at 2 ohm. My cvr122s are 800rms. I would think the subs. Wouldn't distort. I winding if my amp isn't bad. Its 8 years old and it hundred degrees all summer here. And fall. And some of the spring lol.

generally... when an amp fails... it fails. subs, on the other hand, can get jacked up, and still play (be it, playing like shit)... you dont have to be overpowering your subs for clipping to kill them... thats why its so important to set your gains properly

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.