Does box shape matter or just volume ?

girafe06

I recently upgraded to 2 12s. They came in their own box and sounded great but the box wont fit under this basket of electronics that hangs under the rear deck.

So i put them in my old sub box which i built my self which is smaller but fits. Apparently it is too small because in this box, the subs are about half as loud as in the box they came in.

So i need to build a new box and here's the question.

Does the shape of the box matter as long as it has the same cu ft?

Because the box they can in has the same height and width but is shorter than the one i built. It is like two cubes glued together.

Now the one i will be building will be just wide enough to fit between the wheel wells in the trunk and just short enough to fit under that basket of electronics, plus clearance for the speakers themselves which will be facing up. It will then be longer from front of car to rear of car wise to make for the same volume as the box these new ones came in.

So overall, the distance from the sub magnet to the back of the box will be less than the box the subs came in which is basically two perfect

cubes glued together.

Will this produce the same sound?

Thanks!

As long as you don't have any wacky or weird shapes which would restrict airflow I don't see a problem with the shape of a box. What type of shape were you thinking about?

is the sub and port if there i one going to be in the same loction as the other box. this will make a differance.

If you get into it deeply, the shape does matter. In fact there is a magic ratio that has been formulated that gives the best case for a particular enclosure side. When you get further in to box design, standing waves ... all play a part in the final outcome. and shape dones definatley have an effect.

If you get into it deeply, the shape does matter. In fact there is a magic ratio that has been formulated that gives the best case for a particular enclosure side. When you get further in to box design, standing waves ... all play a part in the final outcome. and shape dones definatley have an effect.
The "golden ratio" and standing waves don't matter at sub bass frequencies. They make a difference where the woofer is allowed and expected to play into the mid-range where the wavelengths involved actually fit in the enclosure and a standing wave can actually develop. Figure that a 100hz wavelength is about 10ft and the relevance of box shape for a sealed sub should become apparent.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.