Does 12" + (5.25" x 4) = 8"?

Participant count
  • Participant list

DJCool

Sydney
Hi all,

I can't seem to find any info on this bar a few people saying yes & another few saying no.

My system consists of a P5002 driving a pwh302 12" mb quart in sealed enclosure,it rumbles very nicely,just what i wanted. Up front i have mb quart QSF213 nano's, centre channel is Alpine SBS-05DC & the rear shelf has mb quart PVF213's all driven by the MRA F355 5 ch Amp.

Now, I haven't got the 5 channels connected yet so I have no idea how it sounds but my question is, With this set up do you think there might be a hole in the frequencies around the 100-200 Hz & if so should I find some way to incorporate an 8" Sub in the middle of the rear shelf?

If I do put one there will the sound be directional to me?

What would I need to process this so it doesn't sound out of place?

Many thanks

Cheers

No, you'll be absolutely fine. Just be sure to set your crossovers correctly on your headunit or amp, whichever you're using. 5-1/4" mids may not be as commanding in the midbass region as their 6.5" counterparts, but there won't necessarily be a gap. If you're unsatisfied with the amount of midbass you're getting, you can seal and lightly deaden your doors (so it acts more like a sealed enclosure rather than open baffle), you'll be able to extract a lot more midbass out of your mids.

Wow, thanks for the quick replies fellas.

Project car that I forgot to add is an E30 so I have the fronts mounted in the kicks.

I toyed & tried to manipulate the 5.25's in there with fibreglass but I think that if i ever do I will have to get a pro do make the pods up for me.

What I have done to the kicks is dynamat the living crap out of them & also dynasorbed the inside.

DarkSkorpion, I didn't want to ruin my door trims so that is why I stuck to the kicks.

HazeGrey, what is this ADD you speak of?

Thanks for the welcome..!

Wow, thanks for the quick replies fellas.Project car that I forgot to add is an E30 so I have the fronts mounted in the kicks.

I toyed & tried to manipulate the 5.25's in there with fibreglass but I think that if i ever do I will have to get a pro do make the pods up for me.

What I have done to the kicks is dynamat the living crap out of them & also dynasorbed the inside.

DarkSkorpion, I didn't want to ruin my door trims so that is why I stuck to the kicks.

ADD Attention defict disorder. I streched some tendens in my knee and the doc has me on some wicked pain killers and I cant pay attention to anything!

This a good place to get info, as long as you dont start to talk about how you have to loudest system in your town cause you have a 10 fared cap you will get whatever you need

I have no caps yet, not really sure if I need them either.

I thought I did originally cos the headlights would dim but a yellowtop fixed that prob.

& where I live, the less the neighbourhood hears of my system the better.

Wow, thanks for the quick replies fellas.Project car that I forgot to add is an E30 so I have the fronts mounted in the kicks.

Midbass in kick pods, when built and aimed well, will almost always sound better than door mounted. I didn't know you were doing kicks, so I just assumed you were going door mounted. In this case, sealed kickpods will be fine and there shouldn't be a gap in frequency as you were worried about. Honestly, if you're having a pro build you kickpods, I would go with 6.5" or 7" midbasses. It's much more worth the effort.

Midbass in kick pods, when built and aimed well, will almost always sound better than door mounted. I didn't know you were doing kicks, so I just assumed you were going door mounted. In this case, sealed kickpods will be fine and there shouldn't be a gap in frequency as you were worried about. Honestly, if you're having a pro build you kickpods, I would go with 6.5" or 7" midbasses. It's much more worth the effort.
That's good to know as all i've ever heard about the e30 kicks is all bad & if I do get the pods done pro I definitely will go up in size.

Also, I would love to get my interior back together so not needing the 8" is a bonus..

Does anyone have experience with the dynasorb?

Has it met your expectations?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.