Dodge Magnum 2005 speaker wiring problem...

Participant count
  • Participant list

zeighty

Hi all - New to this forum, but hoping the experts are ready to answer a puzzling problem.

Company car stereo lost sound in both front speakers and left rear. Right rear continues to work.

Purchased new head unit. Made all necessary connections to wiring connecters and soldered all connections. Plugged unit into car wiring, turned on, tuned station, turned up volume and no sound.

Troubleshooting with Crutchfield resulted in a new HU being sent to me. New unit same symptoms.

This time I only connected power and no speakers. Tested right rear output of HU to right rear speaker. it worked. When I connect any of the other three, the right rear went silent.

Here is what I have done so far to track this down:

1 - Shorted both rear speaker connectors to confirm continuity.

2 - Connected each of the rear speakers to the output of the HU directly and both worked.

3 - Checked each of the rear wires for continuity to ground and none found.

4 - When connecting left rear (right rear disconnected) I notice intermittent static from the speaker when only touching one HU output lead to only one speaker wire (I am thinking this confirms a short).

I have not pulled the front speakers yet.

At this point it sounds like a short in 3 of the 4 pairs of speaker wires.

Does anyone know the routing of wires for the speakers and is there a common point that 3 of the 4 could be damage all at once?

But because I have never seen anything like this before I thought best to present it to those of you with much more experience than me. I have done probably 2 dozen installs, so I am very familiar with the process, but I am sure many of you do this day in and out. I am a computer technician and a Ham radio enthusiast with at extensive electronics background (not car related though).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.