Dodge Dakota Build Log

Digging through some old boxes found a 1.5 ft length of knu 0awg and 4 awg with a ring terminal on them already =) Most likely will be used in big 3.

Also layed some more fiberglass on the backing of the door pod this morning.

Im in search of my glue gun still. No where to be found =/

Went to the Homedepot today..

picked a gallon of bondo body filler for 22$

A gasmask for 24$ (really need one of these when working with paint/fiberglass/etc)

A Nice Glue gun for 16$

some plastic bondo spreaders(work better then fingers!) for like 4$

i would have used some different cloth man. that stuff does not look very stretchy //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

but you got the idea. one reason i would have put the fabric BEHIND the wood is so you can glass TO the wood. try sanding the wood with some 36 or 40 grit paper before you glass the other side. should help it stick like 10x better.

like i said, a staple gun works wonders to get the cloth to attach to the wood better by the way.

i would have used some different cloth man. that stuff does not look very stretchy //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

but you got the idea. one reason i would have put the fabric BEHIND the wood is so you can glass TO the wood. try sanding the wood with some 36 or 40 grit paper before you glass the other side. should help it stick like 10x better.

like i said, a staple gun works wonders to get the cloth to attach to the wood better by the way.
1 staple gun broke and the other one is somewhere in my garage ill try to dig it out

Ill sand the wood on the other side.

Im gonna do the other side the same way though so i can get a similar amount of volume on both sides. But next time ill run the cloth behind the wood.

The cloth i got was straight from the hobby store. Labeled Fleece in big purple letters =/

I have some blanket my mom stole from an airplane thats even thinner fleece and stretchy. Should do the job for the outsides.

I need Opinions. #1 or #2 on tweeter location

Will be angled properly later, just sitting there for reference.

Im voting for #1 but #2 will be easier to glass in to place i think.

Also #2 might be cutting close to the manual window opener for people with fat hands. =S

Those are door panels, right? I think you should keep the tweeters as far forward as possible, so #1.

hope my aim is good. tweeter is aimed in front and slightly below drivers head.

I want to smooth out the outline one more time before i actually fiberglass the shell so i will start on that 2morrow.

Ill probably start the drivers door bowl tonight. More pics if i do.

This will also give me time to adjust if anyone has some good suggestions.

added another 4awg run of ground to the alt. Ill also add one more ground to frame with 0awg

Left door progress

I got a little excited and guess some of the hardener didn't get mixed in with a small amount of the resin. Now im stuck with a middle layer that isn't drying. Hopefully i will with time, if not I don't know what to do. Its only about 2 strips of FG that haven't dried up so nothing major. Either cut it up with a grinder and re do it( this will be a mess with wet resin) or just do an extra layer on top to make up for the strength.

jeezus ****ing christ, My dekas were ordered last week. I sent inquires to autobarn and they failed to write back. One of their phone numbers on their site are dead. Finaly got through and the guy takes for ever but finaly told me that they have been back ordered without my knowledge and that they wont arrive at autobarn until 6 days from now and at that point they will ship them to me so it will take over 8 more days to recieve them.. Total ********

usps also lost my jasper jig 300. =/

(Amazon had great CS and is sending it out 2 me on 2day shipping)

Good news is that the wet resin finally dried up rock hard =)

stretched fleece over one of the pods.. Really wish i had some better stuff to work with but its all i got for now.

Ive always had a problem with wrinkles but in the end you should even notice them.

Might have to redo the tweeter pod for magnet clearance.

Heres some pics anways.

Yes, those white spots are air bubbles. I Had to do that to smooth out the surface from all the unwanted curves my crappy fleece left. Im not worried about strength, as i will continue to put more layers of FG on top

I have also skipped adding the wood in the flat side... Im not really sure why but ill probably regret it later. Although its not completely flat, and it is still very strong.

Spacing is also another regret, I should have left more space between the speaker pods because i realized laying vinyl and stuffing will be a little harder, maybe not as bad as i think ??? we will see later on

****it man im sorry i didnt see this earlier!

you needed to space your rings out dude. you are gonna have a hell of a stupid angle in between the two rings because they were so close and staggered like that //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

and you should have angled the midbass' up higher, then move the rings down a bit so the tweet would fit and the aim would match the tweet.

then put them both on the same plane - or used staples to 'pull' the fleece down to the flushmounted ring you made...

also - you need to stretch your fleece WAY tighter to prevent sags and wrinkles. this is why i told you to use super thin stretchy stuff. takes 10 minutes to find in a fabric store like Jo-Anne Fabrics.

eeehhh. im trying to help, i really am. and it does not look like you sanded the trimmed edge down smooth. you need to get that edge baby soft so your finishing work wont be as tough. cmon maaan!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.