Do you think?

Participant count
  • Participant list

CtotheODY
10+ year member

So i have a jbl p1222 and it says that the rms is only 400w. I currently have it hooked up to 500rms and its handling it fine but ive also heard others say that their p1222's are hooked up to 1000rms??? Do you guys think that these subs could be highly underrated and if so what kinda rms do you think they really can handle? Any input is appreciated thanks

Ya I just don't want to spend big bucks on a bigger amp just to blow my sub up :/

Does anyone on here have any experience with these subs at higher rms or just experience in general?

Ya I just don't want to spend big bucks on a bigger amp just to blow my sub up :/
Does anyone on here have any experience with these subs at higher rms or just experience in general?
You can always keep the gain low on the bigger amp...

It always nice to have good, extra head room to work with....

You can always keep the gain low on the bigger amp...
It always nice to have good, extra head room to work with....
Now I know this is probably a dumb question but I'm still learning about all this car audio stuff but what exactly does the gain do? On my amp I have it set to NOM according to the little dial. What would turning it up do?

Keep in mind that just because an amp is rated at a certain wattage, dose not mean that your getting all of that power.

Music is dynamic so your usable wattage will very quite a bit with music.

Now on burps, that is a different story..

Now I know this is probably a dumb question but I'm still learning about all this car audio stuff but what exactly does the gain do? On my amp I have it set to NOM according to the little dial. What would turning it up do?
Turning it up to much can/will cause clipping, heating up and so on and could help in causing damage to your amp and subs if driven to hard that way.

The gain is there to match the amp's input section to your source's output section. You usually do have a little head room either way though...

So from my understanding they are in fact underrated? Now the real question is what's the limit on these things?
Lots of factors will play a part in how much power they will take.

VC size, box size, tuning, loading, cleanliness of the power being delivered, ect...

They have a 2in vc so I wouldn't give it over 550-600 while observing (listening and smelling) carefully. They are basically a reconed Infinity Kappa. JBL and Infinity are owned by the Harmon Group (Harmon Kardon) and JBL is the higher marketed brand. I always thought Infinity was better than JBL but its the other way around according to my local JBL/Infinity dealer. Makes sense too, if you compare similar offerings, the JBLs have slightly better features/specs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

CtotheODY

10+ year member
CtotheODY
simi valley, CA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from