Do i really need to add dampening material?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Forty-Ouncer
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
So im driving around in a tin bucket. My car has no insulation anywhere whatsoever. It just bare metal and plastic. 1996 Toyota Paseo. Water even comes down my door windows and pools along the bottom. When I was my car water drains out the bottom of the speaker in the door!

I was thinking of buying these foam little speaker enclosures to protet my speakers from being "rained on", but im considering now too if insultaing/dampening my car will actually improve the Sound of my system...

Is dampening just to stop rattles? Does it make the music quiter? Ive seen many do it yourself door panel dampening threads and wonder if maybe I should do it in the summer?

Can anyone tell me the benefits I will recieve from forking out lots of $$ and hours of labor??

1.) Less road / wind noise (marginally)

2.) More midbass response (marginally)

3.) Stops metal and plastic from rattling against itself (incredibly)

thats all i can really think about for now. . .

OK I'm sorry I take that back.

Basically, if you have a beefy midrange driver in your door running infinite baffle, it will stop any potential rattles there and increase midbass response.

A long time ago when I initially did my doors in my other car with some Second Skin, i didnt have the chance to compare before and after because I installed my DLS UR6 mids with midbass.

Rumor is that it increases midbass response for two reasons: it stops the inner metal door panels from flexing as much making the mounts for the speaker more solid, and that when you hear a rattle and a bass tone at the same time, usually the rattle takes away from the bass tone.

I'm kinda in the middle with this, so Ill let someone else fully field your question

If you put down several layers of deadening material and seal up all the holes in the door, in addition to improving the speaker mounting to the door, your midbass response will improve dramatically.

Basically, if you have a beefy midrange driver in your door running infinite baffle, it will stop any potential rattles there and increase midbass response.
can someone quickly describe this infinite bafle installation I oftenly hear about? Do i want an infinite bafle install?

can someone quickly describe this infinite bafle installation I oftenly hear about? Do i want an infinite bafle install?
IB basically ='s a speaker that's not in a box per se... ie your front speakers in your door... what was said above is that deadning your door which is essentially the box for you mid will make it sound better.

An installation where the speaker is placed on a plane (being your rear deck, the inner door skin, or a large piece of wood placed between the cabin and trunk of a car) is called "Infinite Baffle."

Basically the speaker is supposed to be able to move forward and backward freely with little to no resistance due to air pressure.

Imagine a sealed box, there would be loads of air resisting being compressed behind the speaker, well here that air is not contained.

So basically, an "infinite baffle" should not allow any air to easily pass from the front of the speaker to the back of it.

Think of it as trying to weather-seal your front door of your house - you want it to be as air-tight as possible so no air can leak from the front of the door (outside) to the back of the door (inside).

how about a new car //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif lol
Tried that... I bought a Jetta GLS and it pretty much bankrupted me after all the repairs. I then had to sell it getting less than half of what i originally paid for it only owning it 6 months!!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.