Do I need a H/O Alternator?

I need your honest opinion.

My system consist of:

Alpine 135bt head unit

Alpine MRX-M240

2 12" Alpine Type R Dual 2Ohm 4th Gen

My amp is rated 2,400 watts rms @ 2ohm which i have it wired for.

I am running 1/0 gauge wire and also have the big 3 done with Optima yellow top under the hood.

I have no idea how many amps my alternator is let alone do i know if its the stock alt.

Of course my amp is cutting out at high volume when the bass hits hard.

Would a 200amp alternator help this issue?

We need to know the amperage of your stock alt to answer this accurately. Some cars have stock alts around 130-150+ amps and that would be plenty. Most do not though, and would benefit from a HO alt.

If your amp is cutting out at high volumes I suspect voltage drop, either due to clipping or insufficient electrical to back it. (most likely some of both)

We need to know the amperage of your stock alt to answer this accurately. Some cars have stock alts around 130-150+ amps and that would be plenty. Most do not though, and would benefit from a HO alt.
If your amp is cutting out at high volumes I suspect voltage drop, either due to clipping or insufficient electrical to back it. (most likely some of both)
ive searched for days for the specs on the alternator that is currently in my truck and cant find anything.

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

what car /truck ?
2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2 door

You could always call a ford dealership and get the part department to look it up. I did and was shocked to find out my car has a 175 amp alt on it.

ive searched for days for the specs on the alternator that is currently in my truck and cant find anything. 

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2 door
get a 200 amp ,at least

Upgrade the battery... The Stinger is a good HO alt, had one back in the late 90's in a walled CRX, ran the crap out of it. Ran flawless until the bearings went bad in it, by then it was in storage and over 8 years old and getting sold.

Multiple your voltage and amps a nd that will give you your wattage that it can produce. Say your battery (while charged by alt) is around 12.6v and your alt is a 200 amp should give you 2520 watts. Or if you know your wattage,Divide that by the voltage. Should give you what amperage needed

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.