do i need a cap or 2 for my system

veloglider
10+ year member

i am going to have a new system installed. It will consist of a sony mex-5Di head unit, front fill will be cdt hd 642, rear fill cdt hd 63's, two 12" soundstream DaVinci subs in a ported box. The subs will each be powered by 2 Rockford fosgate punch 800A2 amps run mono to each sub. The componants speakers powered by a punch 600A4. what do you suggest, a cap or not, i don't know much about the technical stuff and how they would effect my system. I plan on using at least 2 gauge pwr wire

Well to answer that question I will have to know different things about your car. A CAP is only a band-aid. A cap is used to supply the amps with constant power on long and heavy draw conditions.

What amp alternator do you have now?

What is the amp draw with your car running, headlights on, and A/C on?

Now that you have that information what is the max draw of each of your amps?

But with my exp in this matter you will need to upgrade your alt, and battery. I would use a 0 ga wire and split that off. I would also use 3 DIFFERNT GOUNDING LOCATIONS. DO NOT USE THE SAME ONE.

The general equation for caps is 1 farad for every 1,000 watts. A cap is definitely useful for giving your amps a better power supply for the music peaks, but you do need an adequate electrical system to start with. So you might need to upgrade your alterenator as well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.