Do i have the right size of fuse in my power wire?

I'm not suggesting it nor anyone here would recommend it, did you figure out why the fuse blew? It's always better to be safe than sorry.
Having the 200 amp would be fine if you're planning on upgrading the wires in the future.
Thanks for the advice! I'm gonna head back to that shop and see what I can get.

One more quick question, I've heard that the power wire fuse needs to be a higher amp fuse then the amp being powered, does that mean it needs to be higher then the amplifiers fuses amp rating, or the amount of current (amps) that it draws? Do you know anything about that?

Everytime I blow a fuse I replace it with the next size bigger till they stop blowing if Im trying to figure out what size fuse I need
^^ makes sense doesn't it?? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

So unless I'm getting near the point of fuse breaking then it's all the same, right? For example, my wires aren't in more danger with a 200A fuse than a 100A fuse if I'm only running 40 or 50 amps through it? Or is that incorrect?
Yes there is more danger with the 200 amp fuse. If there was a partial short, I keep saying partial because a dead short might pop even the bigger fuse fast enough, there could be say 190A of current going through a wire that is rated for a max of 125A. The fuse won't blow and you may not find out until the insulation melts off the wire and you have a fire. It's ok to fuse under the max rating of a wire, not over it.

These are examples of what could happen, first vid wire rated for 15A loaded with a welder on a 50A breaker. Second vid is an extreme example I'll admit.

I'm not suggesting it nor anyone here would recommend it, did you figure out why the fuse blew? It's always better to be safe than sorry.
Having the 200 amp would be fine if you're planning on upgrading the wires in the future.
NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

Can't stress that enough.

Yes there is more danger with the 200 amp fuse. If there was a partial short, I keep saying partial because a dead short might pop even the bigger fuse fast enough, there could be say 190A of current going through a wire that is rated for a max of 125A. The fuse won't blow and you may not find out until the insulation melts off the wire and you have a fire. It's ok to fuse under the max rating of a wire, not over it.
These are examples of what could happen, first vid wire rated for 15A loaded with a welder on a 50A breaker. Second vid is an extreme example I'll admit.

I would follow his advice, he knows what he is talking about. I was just going to post up the same info as well.

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

Can't stress that enough.
Thanks. One no would of been enough!

I also had same problem I have 4000 watt amp and as soon as I wired it fuse got blown and I don’t know because we did pretty much secure wiring now the wiring kit I used for it was 1500 watt with 5plus gauge. So can someone suggest me which fuse size I should go with for 4000 watt amp and if the 5 gauge wiring is good enough for my setup .

I also had same problem I have 4000 watt amp and as soon as I wired it fuse got blown and I don’t know because we did pretty much secure wiring now the wiring kit I used for it was 1500 watt with 5plus gauge. So can someone suggest me which fuse size I should go with for 4000 watt amp and if the 5 gauge wiring is good enough for my setup .
wow. Ok. So I promise you I am trying to be polite when I say this:
Based on this little bit of information, stop touching your system, and take it to a shop. You don't have 'no basic electrical knowledge', it's worse than that, you have incorrect electrical information. Based on this, I think there are MOST LIKELY other aspects that are wrong, that will get overlooked, because you don't know what to look for, or have wrong information, and there is potential danger.
(I PROMISE YOU, I'm not trying to be rude saying that, just trying to help in what I think is the best way).

To answer your question. Stop. You can not use 4awg or 5awg on a 4,000 watt amp. Go read the manual, which should tell you what size, or what size fuse. You need a fuse that is at or more than what your 4,000watt amp needs, and you need a cable that is capable of more than the fuse.

There's too much going on here, that I'm not in the mood to write. That wire can't handle that amp. You need to learn a lot more, or take it to a shop.

and there was no reason to bump this 11 year old thread for that. Make your own thread.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...