Diy Components??

Participant count
  • Participant list

thuggish3000
10+ year member

Hey guys, its been a while since I last posted here but I havn't had any problems with anything. Well today I decided I might do my own Component Set, I was think of buying a decent set of mid-ranges and decent tweeters. Know when doing a Diy set how do I go abouts wiring it? I don't want ot run active so can I just buy the mids and tweets then maybe just buying a inline crossover/bass blocker? So it would be wired like this: Mid wired to amp, from mid to inline crossover, from inline crossover to tweeter. This is my first time doing this so I want to make sure I do things right.

Any help will be greatly appreciated..

Thanks

Justin

Hey guys, its been a while since I last posted here but I havn't had any problems with anything. Well today I decided I might do my own Component Set, I was think of buying a decent set of mid-ranges and decent tweeters. Know when doing a Diy set how do I go abouts wiring it? I don't want ot run active so can I just buy the mids and tweets then maybe just buying a inline crossover/bass blocker? So it would be wired like this: Mid wired to amp, from mid to inline crossover, from inline crossover to tweeter. This is my first time doing this so I want to make sure I do things right.
Any help will be greatly appreciated..

Thanks

Justin
what ***** is that you can't just throw some random passive crossover in there... not all speakers are the same. Some tweets can be crossed at 2khz while others would sound harsh and dirty at such a crossover point. you really need crossovers that matches the speakers. it would be tremendously easier if you ran active....

I was just starting to think the same thing, I should go active and just run my rear fills off my hu, The main reason I wanted to go passive is for the somewhat tweeter protection, but I know as long as I watch my gain on the amp the tweeter would be fine either way. But if I go active is it easier to tune the tweeter for example if it is too harse is there a way i could tune it so it won't be too harsh? I ask this becuase I know with passive setups the only way to tune a tweeter is to but it to either -3 or-6db on the crossover which in a way makes it hard to tune..

So I will definilty figure out what I want to do tonight, I am going to test out some mids and tweets. Any idea what brands would be best for Diy? I looked at partexpress and they got some stuff there, only probel is that i can't hear them for my self..

Thank for all the help

Justin

You really can't do what you originally proposed. You either have to run active or build custom passives, using some off the shelf crossover network is going to sound like arse.

There are a ton of options for good drivers, but they range from cheap to thousands per driver. Having a budget and a size for what drivers will fit would really, really help the recommendations.

So M5, do you think those mach 5 will work okay. I've just heard that they can only go to 2.0khz so I would have to get a tweeter that can cross at 2.0khz and not sound very harsh. I don't know any tweeters that will do that..

Thanks Again

Justin

I was just starting to think the same thing, I should go active and just run my rear fills off my hu, The main reason I wanted to go passive is for the somewhat tweeter protection, but I know as long as I watch my gain on the amp the tweeter would be fine either way. But if I go active is it easier to tune the tweeter for example if it is too harse is there a way i could tune it so it won't be too harsh? I ask this becuase I know with passive setups the only way to tune a tweeter is to but it to either -3 or-6db on the crossover which in a way makes it hard to tune..
So I will definilty figure out what I want to do tonight, I am going to test out some mids and tweets. Any idea what brands would be best for Diy? I looked at partexpress and they got some stuff there, only probel is that i can't hear them for my self..

Thank for all the help

Justin
since you are already crossing over the tweeter, theres no risk of damage unless the crossing over point is too low. Also you can always add a bass blocker //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Thank for all the help

Justin
since you are already crossing over the tweeter, theres no risk of damage unless the crossing over point is too low. Also you can always add a bass blocker //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

also what type of sound are you looking for? what's your overall goal?

My goal is to have my music play loud but sound relaxed while doing it. Detail is my most important goal overall. If it helps I listen to both types of music Rap and Alternative..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.