Disappointed with MB Quart RCE216's

relay

Boston
I just finished a new audio system in a new vehicle for me and I am fairly disappointed in the performance of the MB Quart Reference 6.5" speakers.

Specifically, they seem rather dull, flat & cold to me. Perhaps I am just too picky being into home audio and theater as much as I am. Perhaps I am expecting too much from an audio system in a car.

Sound quality is absolutly #1 here.

The details: Chevy Avalanche, JL Audio stealth console sub(10W3 V2), JL 500/1 for sub and JL 300/4 for front & rear speakers.

All 4 doors are lined with Dynamat Extreme.

Do you guys think it could be something in my configuration? The tweeters are mounted in the factory location up in the pillars. They are angled toward the windshield rather than into the cab.

What would be the next level up of speakers from here? I like crisp, bright, punchy and warm sounding speakers. I know, bright and warm don't often go together but I found exactly what i like in a pair of Canton Ergo's that I bought nearly 20 years ago for home audio. I still love these speakers today.

no its probabaly not the way your car is set up the MB-Quarts are not the greatest speaker IMO. I had a set of premiums a few years ago and hated them the tweeter was just brutal it would hurt ears to listen to them.

I dont really know what your budget is but I am running a set of Rainbow Profi's right now and they are one of the smoothest speakers I have ever used. I would look into the Profi Vanadiums if I were you they use a titanium tweeter which sounds great both smooth and bright but not overly bright where it hurts to listen to them.

Yea. The upper end MB quarts aren't bad. The reference lacks midbass detail, midrange dynamics, etc.

Also, because you're into home audio, the pathlength difference between each speakers are about equal. In your truck, the length is difference, throwing off imaging. This can lead to sort of a hollow sound as if the midrange drivers were out of phase. You wont get that focused staging. It'll leave your system sounding dry and dead.

Try flipping one of your midrange driver out of phase.

What are you using for processing? Do you have an aftermarket deck? If it has time alignment, make use of it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

If you decide you want different speakers, and your budget isn't too limited, at least look at the Focal Polykevlar (165 K2P). They are warm sounding drivers and have the tweeters to sound dynamics. It's just about what you're looking for.

i say try reversing the polarity of the tweeters first- before you try anything else...

IMO in any setup in which the tweet is further than 6" from the mid it should be implented

Reversing the phase of one of the mids, will help any midbass cancellation issues

I know this has to have been beat to death in other threads, but with pure sound quality in mind, what components can we choose from with say a $300 budget?

List the top three that can be purchased with a $200-$300 budget, then the top three suggestions for $300-$500.

I am looking for a set of 6.5 components, but I grow tired of hearing how the Type Rs are “bang for the buck” speakers. I am sure they are nice for the cost, but I want the most accurate sounding speakers I can get for under $500.

audiolife, actually, the tweeters are VERY lifeless off the glass. In no way could they be described bright the way they are working right now. This is part of my complaint. There is nothing there at all. I thought perhaps it is the way I set something up.

Gsteg: Very good idea. Imaging is all messed up without time alignement right. I was carefull to keep the lengths of all the speaker cables the same but my position in the vehicle is not in the middle is it. I am using crappy factory headunit right now because it is so integrated into the car. If I need to change it out then I will be sure to find something with time alignment.

Intercooler: I think they are rated 60 to 130 watts. The JL amp is 75W/chan. It does not seem like a power issue to me though. It sounds crappy even at low and midrange volume.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am going to try changing a few things around. I'll try some phasing things first and if that does not work I think I am going to upgrade to a different pair of speakers. My budget is basically whatever it costs to achieve an enjoyable audio system. Not the best, just enjoyable. If I can't do that with a reasonable budget I will simply forget about audio in the car for now and get rid of what I bought.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.