Differences between 34hz and 38hz

with a 34hz box , u will be hitting pretty much all the bass and will also be pretty heavy sounding and with a 38hz box, some bass notes would be very peaky and louder sounding , but overall the bass will sound like a fire cracker which is loud as hell but no real "heavy" feeling.

but this dpends from sub to sub and the cabin gain...
sounds like he knows what he's talking about

To sum it up.

34 hz is louder to the ear, 38 hz would be louder to the meter.

Lower frequencies sound louder to your ear than a higher. So if everything was the exact same, you would think the 34 would meter higher when you listened but you would be wrong.

jesus fucking monkey balls, its all about PERSONAL PREFERENCE. Everybody here is an individual i hope, and we all have our own taste.
You don't have to answer the god **** forum. It's a&&holes like you that make the forum look bad.

I have 2 boxes at home made for 2 different sets of woofers. The first one was for 38hz and the second one was for 34hz. I missed my low end from the 34hz box when I re-installed the 38hz last week. To me it felt like the sound quality was missing a little and my low end wasn't as defined on the 38hz box. So I was getting some opinions as to the kind of sound from each box. The answers on this forum confirm what my ears hear on the daily basis.

I have 2 boxes at home made for 2 different sets of woofers. The first one was for 38hz and the second one was for 34hz. I missed my low end from the 34hz box when I re-installed the 38hz last week. To me it felt like the sound quality was missing a little and my low end wasn't as defined on the 38hz box. So I was getting some opinions as to the kind of sound from each box. The answers on this forum confirm what my ears hear on the daily basis.
Pick what YOU like. That's what everyone is saying, pick what sounds best to YOU, some people listen to 38hz daily, some listen to 15hz daily, they pick tuning frequency based on desired goals and what sounds best to them.

If we told you to tune for 38hz and you didn't like the sound would you keep it because it's what "people on a forum said is best"? It's what's best to you, not us, that matters.

so basically you waisted our time... asking a rhetorical question.
I know a lot about car audio but not everything. Forums like this are supposed to help. I know enough about bass to know that the box makes 85% of the install where bass is concerned. What I didn't know a whole lot about is the differences between tuning. I didn't know why I missed a lot of my low end and that the differences between 38 and 34 hz were so vast. I will choose what i think is best for me however it helps to have all available information before deciding. IT'S A SIMPLE AS THAT. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO HELP THEN YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO ANSWER THE QUESTION OR RESPOND TO THE THREAD. IF AM NOT THE FIRST ON THIS FORUM TO GET THE ADVICE OF OTHERS BEFORE MAKING A CAR AUDIO DECISION AND I WON'T BE THE LAST.

To sum it up.
34 hz is louder to the ear, 38 hz would be louder to the meter.

Lower frequencies sound louder to your ear than a higher. So if everything was the exact same, you would think the 34 would meter higher when you listened but you would be wrong.
That's not completely true. More relative misinformation that is constantly spread on here. Your ears get less sensative as you go down in frequency. A 40hz tone is loud to the ear, a 25hz tone isn't. 25hz will be some sound and ALOT of flexing and pressure,but loud, no. The reason a 45hz tuned enclosure isn't "loud to the ear" has to do with bandwidth. Enclosures roll off below tuning when you tune at 40hz everything below that gets cut off and and on music that make the subwoofer seem quiet since it's only playing like 1/2 the bassline. So tuning low does seem louder, because it IS louder if we are concerned about more than just a peak reading. Another reason why chasing numbers on a meter is often an exercise in frustration if your actually looking to enjoy your stereo and don't just compete.

you will loose alot of low freq extension, meaning it wont go as low or deep. all depends what ur going for. if ur never going to comps do 34hz for sure it will sound alot better.
It might hit harder at 34 at cmps depending on what hes tuned to.. 34 will play better deeper bass notes but oddds are 38 will meter higher and you wont notice a huge difference either way.. but odds are you are tuned over 38 so 38 will meter louder and 34 will sound a hair better on music but its hard to say.. depends on vehicle, box, subs, amp size, etc etc etc...

Sorry to thread jack, but does it matter which sub is being used as to how low the tuning can be? If the sub is built for SPL, can it still sound good tuned low?
The idea that many SPL subs companies try to throw out that you have to tune "sub X" at 45hz to sound right generally isn't true if that's what your asking. In general SPL woofers are very high Q, so your going to get alot of peaky output no matter where you tune it around tuning so sounding good is always a challenge. The "advantage" I suppose those SPL style woofers is that tuned high they won't bottom out even if your dumb and don't apply a SSF since the suspension are so stiff that they a hard to bottom out. Tuned low of course you don't have that issue in the first place.

I'd advise tuning lower than that since there is a lot of information in songs that can be well below that. If you're curious about the frequency, it's 4 hz and it's a minimal amount of difference to the ear but for tuning frequency your sub can unload below that and easily destroy itself without a SSF/HP filter around the tuning frequency.

Me, I prefer tuning a lot lower. I usually tune in the mid 20s for car and mid to high teens for home - but thats a whole nother league.

Daily driving, tune lower. SPL where you do 1 note bass, tune at your car's peak cabin gain frequency. But as someone said, it's all personal preference so whatever you like, do that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...