difference in ohm

rick22
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
ne,Ohio
im planning to either get the pg tantrum 1200.1 or the hifonics bx1000d and the thing is is there a difference in the ohm you wire a sub. like for the tantrum it would be wired in 4 ohm and for the bx1000d it would be 1 ohm so is there a difference like for sound or power draw from the alt or is it just options to either wire the sub 1 or 4 ohm with no difference. thanks alot

Yes there is a difference. When you wire a sub and lower the OHM you are making the amp push more power across the sub. This will increase your power draw from your elec system. So if you are pushing more power to the sub you will get a louder sound. Be careful that you do not lower the OHM to a point that you will burn the amp up. If you wire it to a 1 OHM load, and the amp is 1 ohm stable you need to know that when the sub moves is lowers the OHM already. So if it is wired to 1 OHM and it hits a bass note it will drop to about .8 to .5 OHM.

The difference in the two amps you have posted is at what ohm load they produce that kind of power. It won't make a difference audibly. You need to decide what kind of subs, voice coil configurations. THen decide what load you will be presenting the amp. Then look for an amp with the power you want at the load you have. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i already know all that i have a mag d2 15 with dual 2 ohm. my question was meaning what is the difference from giving a 4 ohm load or a 1 ohm load to the sub because if 1 ohm is not as good as if i were to give 4 ohm i would get the pg tantrum because it gives almost the same amount just a bit more at 4 ohms whereas the hiffonics would have to be a 1 ohm load.

4 ohm compared to 1ohm is like pavengmike6 said, is that the 1ohm load presented to the amp will make the amp work more to put out more....where as the 4 ohm load will be easier for the amp but will be less power....and like the previous post said the thing to do is determine what amp by what the amp is stable at if the amp is stable at 2ohms then you do not want to present the amp with a 1ohm load....

right i know that. never mind then because i obviously cant state my question the way i want it to be said. iknow all about the power and all that. i know the difference of power the amp gives at different ohms. thats why i clearly stated that i will either use the tantrum for a 4ohm load to give 1000 or the hifonics for a 1 ohm load to give 1000 when i started this thread. i need to know if there is a difference in giving a sub 1000 watts at 1 ohm and 4 ohms because i want to know this to factor in on my decison to go with the hiffonic or the pg tantrum.because if the subs coils handle 1000 watts at 4 ohms better than 1 ohm ill get the pg tantrum but if the sub s coils handle the power just the same at 1 ohm then ill just go with the hifonics. also i wanted to know if my alt will strain more if i use the tantrum at 4 ohms or if i use the hifonics at 1 ohm. and lastly is there a difference in sound.

It would make a difference to the amp which in turn would make a difference on the sub...a 1ohm load like you know will push a amp to the extreme so to say.....therefore the sound quality would be less than the amp that can produce the same at 4ohms....its easier for the amp therefore the sound quality would be better....

I would choose the PG...

I HIGHLY doubt you will notice a difference in sound when you are running that kind of power.

And for the current draw at 1 or 4 ohms, wattage is dependent on current, so how can an amp putting out 1000 watts draw more current than an amp putting out 1400 watts, even though the hifonics will be less efficient? Whats the fuse rating on both? If the PG has the higher fuse rating i would think that the PG would take more current.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.