Difference between Speaker and Power wires

IDSkoT
5,000+ posts

Resonating Reticular
Is the only difference wire count...? Or is it actual wire content's quality?

And even still, don't speakers just work by a series of electromagnetic pulses which pushes the cone up and down disrupting the air thus creating sound waves... and if this is true, why does the quality of the wire matter if it's just reactions to electrical currents?

???? Power wire must be much larger than speaker wire?

Or do you mean extension cord wires vs speaker wire. If that one, nothing but the casing. I have used cheap extension cords as speaker wire when low on cash, wire is wire.

???? Power wire must be much larger than speaker wire?
Or do you mean extension cord wires vs speaker wire. If that one, nothing but the casing. I have used cheap extension cords as speaker wire when low on cash, wire is wire.
Obviously. But there's 10AWG speaker wire and 10 AWG power wire, If I'm not mistaken.

maybe speaker wire is "different" than power wire because speaker wire is basically 2 wires while power wire is only 1 wire.. instead of having to run two power tires, you just need to run one speaker wire to get the same result

or something, idk, im tired and doing a stupid paper on stupid england and their retarded kings/queens

maybe speaker wire is "different" than power wire because speaker wire is basically 2 wires while power wire is only 1 wire.. instead of having to run two power tires, you just need to run one speaker wire to get the same result
or something, idk, im tired and doing a stupid paper on stupid england and their retarded kings/queens
winner

there is no real difference. People refer to speaker wire as a wire with a positive and a negative in the same casing.

then again, it owuld be nice to have huge guage "speaker" wire for ease of running power and ground wires //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Common 18 gauge lamp cord, called Zip cord, is also sold as speaker wire. They are the same.

Wires come in many sizes, thread counts and jacket types, but copper is copper. "Quality" of the wire has more to do with specialized features like corrosion resistance, silver content, flexibilty, jacket resistence to chemicals/heat/abrasion, ease of use, cost, etc.

Mostly when talking about wire the most important features are thickness, strands, number of conductors, corrosion resistance and jacket type. Everything else is window dressing.

Signal cable can get a little more complicated when you start adding in shields, grounds, strain relief, colors, number of conductors, etc.

BASSBIN-10GP-LEAD-COPY-2005082718174.jpg

10 gaUGE power ^^

10 gauge speaker v v

knukonceptz-wire.jpg

there is a difference between them that someone forgot to add. the $$$ hahahah! has anyone tried pure silver wires for sq? sound clarity is excellent. ask some who has DMM and same length of speaker and power wire. then test its resistance. there should be a difference. less resistance=sound clarity

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.